Menu
Senrap
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

HDCP Problem with V6

I have recently received a new V6 box which is certainly an improvement on the old Tivo box.

I have a Denon AVR-X2200 Receiver which connects via HDMI to my Panasonic TXP50VT65b TV as well as a PVR and Panasonic DVD Recorder.

I am no longer able to run the V6 through the AV Receiver because I receive an on screen message saying:

"The content can not be displayed because your tv does not support HDCP 2.2".

So I can only get a picture by connecting the V6 direct to the TV and not the Denon AV Receiver, even though the receiver is supposedly HDCP 2.2 compatible.

I raised the problem with Virgin on Monday but have not heard anything since.

Any help with this problem will be appreciated

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
bacus
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: HDCP Problem with V6

You could try an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP from the signal.

Something like THIS for example.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

IMHO the fault lies with your Denon.

V6 correctly identifies the DHCP capability of the devices being connected to it. 2.2 in the case of your Denon and 1.4? In the case of your TV.

It, I believe, is the job of your Denon to do likewise and deliver 1.4? to your TV (or request 1.4? From V6 to pass on to your TV).

Senrap
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply.

Hmm, I'm not much of a techie so I'm not sure how to sort this out.

Presumably the only way I can know for sure is to, somehow, get hold of another supposedly compatible  AV receiver, and see if that works?

0 Kudos
bacus
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You could try an HDMI splitter that removes HDCP from the signal.

Something like THIS for example.

shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hijack the thread but I just want to make sure about something. I have a 1080p 3D TV and a Yamaha RX-V375 av receiver which allows 4k passthrough but only 1.4 I believe. Will the V6 play nice here or is it going to throw up errors because it's not 2.2.
0 Kudos
Senrap
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks bacus, that's very interesting. I see that it has worked for some Sky Q customers who are having the same issue although it is not guaranteed to work.

For the money, it's worth having a go.

0 Kudos
bacus
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I used one for a client who had SkyHD and wanted to split it to a digital TV modulator for distribution around the house over existing coax. It worked great. If you try this or another brand, then I hope you have the same success. Best of luck.

st1ngr4y
Joining in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Just to get a bit technical, you are talking about two different standards: HDMI and HDCP

HDMI is the physical connection and cable that connects the two devices. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

HDCP is the copy protection protocol that needs to be supported by all devices to allow content to be transferred between them. HDCP works over multiple physical interfaces such as HDMI, DVI and DisplayPort. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-bandwidth_Digital_Content_Protection

Current versions of HDMI are:

v1.4/1.4a that supports HD and UHD at up to 3840×2160 (Ultra HD) at 24 Hz/25 Hz with 3D, but no HDR.

v2.0/2.0a/2.0b that supports HD and UHD at up to 3840×2160 (Ultra HD) at 60 Hz with HDR.

Current versions of HDCP are v2.0/2.1/2.2

AFAIK the Tivo supports HDMI v1.4 with HDCP v2.0 and the V6 HDMI v2.0b with HDCP 2.2.

To pass the TV signal from the Tivo to your TV via a receiver, the receiver will have to support HDMI v1.4 (but will not output 3840×2160 (Ultra HD) at 60 Hz with HDR) or v2.0 (v2.0 is backwards compatible), but more importantly HDCP v2.2 as this does not downgrade. If the receiver does any type of processing on the content (upscaling, etc.) then it can output to a different standard, such as HDMI v1.4 with HDCP v2.0 if this is all that your TV supports.

As other posters mentioned, an HDMI splitter that strips out the HDCP copy protection will get around this (but might be illegal).

shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I've just realised I was getting HDMI and HDCP mixed up. A lot of that went over my head but am I correct in thinking that the V6 box would connect to the av receiver that has 4k passthrough at HDMI 1.4 to a 1080p TV absolutely fine?
0 Kudos
Silverstar
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Another possible way to connect the V6 box is to connect directly to tv as you have done and then connect the tv's hdmi 2 to the out of your AV receiver. Hdmi 2 has ARC you should then hear the audio from the V6 box via the AV receiver.

0 Kudos