Menu
macsmurf
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

HD picture quality: V6 versus Freeview

Does anyone have a Samsung SUHD 4K tv connected to their V6, and if so, what have you found to be the best output settings? At the moment, I've got 2160 passthrough enabled, plus 1080p passthrough and 1080i. I suspect this is not ideal, because having eventually got a long-enough aerial lead and testing the Freeview HD channels, their picture is perceptibly better than the same channels on the V6. I suspect this is because the picture from the V6 is being upscaled twice: any thoughts?

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: HD picture quality: V6 versus Freeview

macsmurf wrote:

Does anyone have a Samsung SUHD 4K tv connected to their V6, and if so, what have you found to be the best output settings? At the moment, I've got 2160 passthrough enabled, plus 1080p passthrough and 1080i. I suspect this is not ideal, because having eventually got a long-enough aerial lead and testing the Freeview HD channels, their picture is perceptibly better than the same channels on the V6. I suspect this is because the picture from the V6 is being upscaled twice: any thoughts?

If you just have 1080i, 1080p pass through and 2160p pass through ticked then I believe that should be the best. That allows the 1080i broadcasts to pass through the V6 box untouched and the TV will be doing the scaling. So it shouldn't be getting stalled twice. Try messing with the options to try and see which is best to you. 

0 Kudos
Stratman1971
Up to speed
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I suppose it's down to which has the better upscaler, your TV or the V6.

Does anyone know how good the V6 upscaler is?

If you find your Freeview 1080i upscaled by the TV to 1080p gives a better picture than your V6 outputting 1080p, it suggests that the V6 upscaler is inferior.

I personally can't see any difference.

0 Kudos
macsmurf
Tuning in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Well, in this case, as it's a 4K set, the TV is upscaling the Freeview signal from 1080i to 2160p, rather than 1080p, so I suppose the question is: is the signal from the V6 being upscaled twice, once by the V6, and then by the TV? If so, I guess this would account for a degradation of picture quality.

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

macsmurf wrote:

Well, in this case, as it's a 4K set, the TV is upscaling the Freeview signal from 1080i to 2160p, rather than 1080p, so I suppose the question is: is the signal from the V6 being upscaled twice, once by the V6, and then by the TV? If so, I guess this would account for a degradation of picture quality.

If the V6 box is upscaling 1080i to 2160p then the TV wouldn't need to scale it. That said if the V6 box is set to 1080i, 1080p passthrough and 2160p passthrough then the V6 box isn't scaling the image surely? 

0 Kudos
macsmurf
Tuning in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

shawty1984 wrote:

If the V6 box is upscaling 1080i to 2160p then the TV wouldn't need to scale it. That said if the V6 box is set to 1080i, 1080p passthrough and 2160p passthrough then the V6 box isn't scaling the image surely? 

You're probably right. In which case, I guess that means that the Freeview signal is just inherently better than the V6 one! Shame there aren't more HD channels on Freeview...

0 Kudos
rubixqubix
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am having similar issues! My freeview box has a significantly better picture than the v6 box. I can't see why this would be!

I've tried another v6 box, changed hdmi cable, box setting and tv settings but can't seem to get an equivalent picture.

Anyone else have similar issues moving from sky/freeview to virgin?

Thanks
0 Kudos
Howard1972
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Best setting for picture I'find is 1080p and above boxes ticked only.
0 Kudos
HavencroftKev
Up to speed
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It's interesting to see people are still having issues with the V6 picture quality.

I'm still convinced the HD picture quality on the V6 is poorer than the old TiVo.

With the settings 1080i, 1080p pass-through and 2060 pass-through selected I do get a picture that matches the Freeview HD on my TV, however I believe it isn't as sharp or clear as the TiVo.

0 Kudos