Menu
SnakePlissken81
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Fan noise!

Disappointed with my new v6 box which arrived 4 days ago.  The constant fan noise (it sounds like a fan not an HD) is driving me nuts.  My old Tivo was pretty much silent.  The box makes this noise even on standby.  It has also rebooted twice during recordings (recording 1 channel not several) and has frozen on playback twice necessitating a power off and on.  I think I may have to cancel and go back to the tivo even though i like the speed of the new box when it works.  If all of these boxes have this fan noise then I would rather not have the thing in the house!  Does anyone have a quiet one of these things?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Fan noise!

mine's totally silent

0 Kudos
Marni1971
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Mines silent too. The HDD click is more noticeable - and for that the rest of the room has to be silent. Even then it's barely noticeable. 

Ring 150 and see about a swap. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You can hear the fan if you put your ear right next to the box while in standby. In normal circumstances, it's not noticeable.

0 Kudos
SnakePlissken81
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the replies.  Have phoned for an engineer.  Worry they won't hear the noise!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi SnakePlissken81,

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you've had trouble with a noisy V6.

I've located your account and I can see the technician has been out to fix this for you. How's it been since?

Speak soon Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
SnakePlissken81
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Josh, 

The engineer replaced the box but he also worked there was a problem with the signal which he fixed.  The new box is actually not much quieter than the last but I'm starting not to notice it so all is good.

0 Kudos
mrtuk83
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

My box is also very noisy! I can hear 2 things in my room the clock ticking and the v6 box humming away urghh sounds like a laptop fan humming away.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

this is not the best week for forming an opinion on normal fan noise.

your room is probably 10 degrees hotter than usual 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

mrtuk83 wrote:
My box is also very noisy! I can hear 2 things in my room the clock ticking and the v6 box humming away urghh sounds like a laptop fan humming away.

You likely have hyperacusis (like me) - a condition where quiet, repetitive sounds can be very irritating.