Menu
barmyarmy66
Up to speed
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Engineer fixed my services Friday...or did he

Had an engineer visit Friday to fix a shoddy install.

At 4pm (5 hours after he left), all was well. Then...

1. The 3rd NEW TV remote stopped working
2. Then the 16% loading screen returned leaving me with no tv service!

Thoughts VM?!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Engineer fixed my services Friday...or did he

thoughts - it's what you get when taking a new - improperly tested product from an ISP with a lousy rep for new product quality.

but as the option to roll back to the even worse Tivo is not appealing, you just have to keep Kalm & Keep complaining.

there are, allegedly, some people wth working V6 installs,  there is no public data on % happy % problematic

possibly he gave you a "new" remote with almost dead batteries but I suspect not. Easy to check that though

barmyarmy66
Up to speed
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

If not properly tested it should neither be released outside of beta or be a fully chargeable service.

Batteries...I wish. 3 remotes, same issues.

Got 150 on speed dial.

Last time I had to wait 7 days for an engineer and this time its 5 so progress hey 🤔
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

its bluetooth for the remotes I believe, so there must be a bug that keeps it always alive until it drains the batteries ?

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

thoughts - it's what you get when taking a new - improperly tested product from an ISP with a lousy rep for new product quality.

but as the option to roll back to the even worse Tivo is not appealing, you just have to keep Kalm & Keep complaining.

there are, allegedly, some people wth working V6 installs,  there is no public data on % happy % problematic

possibly he gave you a "new" remote with almost dead batteries but I suspect not. Easy to check that though

Apparently I am one of those with an "allegedly" working V6 install. Given that there is now a reasonable number of V6s out there then I am not sure where you get your figures from as most customers without problems are not likely to be posting here. Do you have statistics for the number of installs compared to the number of posts reporting problems?

As for testing, I was having problems with my Tivos last year and an engineer, who I considered very professional, told me he had a V6 at home to test. That was last summer. The engineer who installed my V6, also very professional, told me he also had one installed at home last year and seemed very knowledgeable about the box.

There were also V6s released to some customers prior to the launch as was evident on this forum. Because you might have problems does not mean that everyone else does. Yes, there will always be bugs in new products, see Sky Q for example, that is a fact of life. However despite this I would not be surprised if some of the problems are due to poor installations as, reading some posts, not everybody received the high level of service I received at installation.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

>Frank- there are no public figures on good v bad or even on size of install base, AFAIK

I said " allegedly" as some early fans may now have changed their mind

I judge only from the volume of posts re V6 bugs & see several concurrent issues

•  poor quality / pixellated screen on some/all channels
  •  netflix and BBC i player issues
  •  failing / not working remotes
  • black screen issue with some TVs ( maybe HDCP 2.2. issues ) 

A reputable company would run a list of known issues , fixes / workarounds, and keep it updated. I ahave never seen VM do that for any of their kit.

also, I was disappointed to read that it uses the same base software as Tivo, which is not great. so e.g. there is no way to adjust subtitles size or font, like you can on pretty much all other streaming boxes.

I ill not be queuing for one until the bug reports go into decline.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

>Frank- there are no public figures on good v bad or even on size of install base, AFAIK

I said " allegedly" as some early fans may now have changed their mind

I judge only from the volume of posts re V6 bugs & see several concurrent issues

•  poor quality / pixellated screen on some/all channels
  •  netflix and BBC i player issues
  •  failing / not working remotes
  • black screen issue with some TVs ( maybe HDCP 2.2. issues ) 

A reputable company would run a list of known issues , fixes / workarounds, and keep it updated. I ahave never seen VM do that for any of their kit.

also, I was disappointed to read that it uses the same base software as Tivo, which is not great. so e.g. there is no way to adjust subtitles size or font, like you can on pretty much all other streaming boxes.

I ill not be queuing for one until the bug reports go into decline.

Whereas I did not claim that there were no issues, you still appear to be claiming that it is nothing but bad news. You also claimed that it had not been tested which I refuted. I have spent over thirty years managing corporate computer systems and I can assure you that no company, large or small, big, very expensive, systems or consumer equipment, tends to be released in a perfect state as some issues do not arise until they are out in the wild. This is particularly true for a consumer item, when the box is installed in a wide variety of environments and attached to a variety of equipment.

Try to resolve all these problems prior to release and the truth is that the product will never be released. The simple answer is to avoid new products until things settle down. That is our professional approach to new hardware and operating system releases.

I repeat that this is a forum for reporting problems so you are unlikely to have too many people reporting that all is well. I did so after mine was installed primarily because I had complained so voraciously last year about my problems with the Tivo and I wanted to provide a balance. Most customers won't bother and will just get on with using a working service. 

Just to add, I was called by VM the day after the V6 was launched and offered one for free, otherwise I would also have waited. I suspect that someone in VM understood from my previous posts that I would be able to give an account of the V6, bad or good, and that is what I have done, I have provided an honest account of my V6 experience.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

actually I said "improperly tested product from an ISP with a lousy rep for new product quality."

shall we delve into how well they tested the new email platform, the data security during migration, the spam filters,  the last TIVO software update, the long litany of Hub 2, 2 ac, hub 3  issues - like the modem mode debacle, and the recent destructinve hub 2 firmware update, now thankfully rolled back.

their track record on new product quality is frankly awful. They are blessed with a captive ( broadband) customer base who cannot get decent speeds any other way, and with a rival TV empire who many detest on principle. [ I don't much care for contributing to the royalty stream that helps fund Branson's obscene lifestyle, but there is no way I would ever give money to the Murdochs ]

and blaming poor installs is a joke, surely. This is consumer electronics, you connect the co-ax, plug it into the mains and press start. How hard can that be. Somehow I don't thank the guy with the 3 dead remotes is in that position because the remotes were badly installed Smiley Happy

Are you now an unpaid enforcer for your sig. ( only saccharine posts allowed ? )

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

actually I said "improperly tested product from an ISP with a lousy rep for new product quality."

shall we delve into how well they tested the new email platform, the data security during migration, the spam filters,  the last TIVO software update, the long litany of Hub 2, 2 ac, hub 3  issues - like the modem mode debacle, and the recent destructinve hub 2 firmware update, now thankfully rolled back.

their track record on new product quality is frankly awful. They are blessed with a captive ( broadband) customer base who cannot get decent speeds any other way, and with a rival TV empire who many detest on principle. [ I don't much care for contributing to the royalty stream that helps fund Branson's obscene lifestyle, but there is no way I would ever give money to the Murdochs ]

and blaming poor installs is a joke, surely. This is consumer electronics, you connect the co-ax, plug it into the mains and press start. How hard can that be. Somehow I don't thank the guy with the 3 dead remotes is in that position because the remotes were badly installed Smiley Happy

Are you now an unpaid enforcer for your sig. ( only saccharine posts allowed ? )

Obviously anything I now say is because I am a VM puppet but here goes anyway.

If you think that there are no installation problems then you must not read these forums much. One of the issues that I think VM are currently suffering from is that there is a lack of suitably qualified engineers at the moment. Look at the number of posts re long waits for V6 installations, the number of posts stating that the engineer left before the installation was complete, posts saying that the engineer was late arriving because he was held up and he still had others to attend, even though it was late in the day. Some installations are straightforward, others are not, particularly with the V6 and its networking requirements. 

If the best you can resort to is insults then I will leave you to it. Goodbye.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
whiterdesign
Tuning in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Well I am another who is very satisfied with my installation. I think the v6 is far superior to my old Tivo box and gives a superior picture. The installation was excellent and had a good chat with the installer who said that they were learning all the time about the new box. I worked all my working life in the telecoms industry and this is a fact of life, new products are always like this. I have had one problem where the V6 box cant see the old Tivo and i have to reboot the V6 but i guess that this will be sorted in a future software upgrade. My controller has always worked perfectly and even from a different room, as i have another Tv fed via HDMI over ethernet and a HDMI splitter. This is 15 metre away through a wall and no problem with controlling the V6 box.Give Virgin a chance. Sky Q has had a load of teething problems, remember the Watchdog programme. 

0 Kudos