Menu
ReasonableMan
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Engineer Pre-Install Visit?

Hello,
I'm looking to switch back to Virgin after a 3yr spell with Sky. In that time I've done a lot of home improvements which might have implications for an engineer reinstalling services. Is it possible to get an engineer to have a 5min look at my house before I take out a contract with Virgin.
(I'm posting in the V6 forum as some wiring questions would be most appropriate here)
Thanks for any advice in advance
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Engineer Pre-Install Visit?

That's an interesting one - something you might struggle to explain to offshore sales.

I'm guessing this is because you've run your own coax?

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ah....

Sky coax != VM coax.

The only stuff that VM will even consider installing onto the end of is Webro HD100. VM's coax is custom made, and this is the only commercially available cable of a higher standard.

Similarly, when you say you've moved the brown box, you've not disconnected any of the cabling, have you?

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Depending on the distance needed, it might be preferable for you to perform the under floor cable pull yourself with the Webro HD100. Don't cap it, but just leave it there for the VM installer to trim and add connectors as needed.

By "protected by a sand base", you mean " [it's in a small piece of trunking/pipe] protected by a sand base", otherwise a future repull would either a) warrant the excavation of your new paving, or b) require the cable to be laid around the perimeter.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

That's an interesting one - something you might struggle to explain to offshore sales.

I'm guessing this is because you've run your own coax?

ReasonableMan
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that's part of it. To make the most of the space I shifted the TV over to the other side of the room. I ran a Sky Coax extension cable and a CAT 5 internet cable under the floor then had it carpeted. I think, if I had to, it would be possible to use this to pull through Virgin extensions but I can see it being a right pain so if I don't have to ...
Also I've laid a patio out the front of the house - I was very careful to protect the cables running to the house and they are fine. I did have to move the move the brown plastic box at the front. There is plenty of TV cable but I wanted to know there was enough phone line for them to work with - I think it looks OK but Obviously I'm posting on here so ...
Thanks for the reply 😊
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ah....

Sky coax != VM coax.

The only stuff that VM will even consider installing onto the end of is Webro HD100. VM's coax is custom made, and this is the only commercially available cable of a higher standard.

Similarly, when you say you've moved the brown box, you've not disconnected any of the cabling, have you?

0 Kudos
ReasonableMan
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Inside the brown boxInside the brown boxShame about the coax cable - that will be a real swine to pull through :-(

Here is pic of the box - as you can see the tv cables are in tact and still connected.

The phone cable on the other hand had very little play in it. The yellow arrows point to the already snapped orange wires and the crimps at the end of the underground cable - very little room to manoeuvre but possible to strip and connect. Everything underground is fine - protected by a sand base.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Depending on the distance needed, it might be preferable for you to perform the under floor cable pull yourself with the Webro HD100. Don't cap it, but just leave it there for the VM installer to trim and add connectors as needed.

By "protected by a sand base", you mean " [it's in a small piece of trunking/pipe] protected by a sand base", otherwise a future repull would either a) warrant the excavation of your new paving, or b) require the cable to be laid around the perimeter.

ReasonableMan
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Cable is in the trunking and then sand around to protect so I've no worries about that.
Need to consider about pulling the cable through in my living room as I really don't want to move the carpet if I don't have to and the route I pulled the cable through includes a little swerve.
Thanks for the advice, it's really helped :-)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you manage to sort out the internal cable pull yourself, then by the sounds of things you should be ok for everything else.

The installer can check the existing external connections, and then add appropriate terminals to any internal cable you've laid. If you're expecting it to be a semi-permanent installation then I'd have double the length you need - yes you'll have some excess coiled up somewhere, but the installation will be tuned to that cable length, giving you a degree of freedom to have an internal reshuffle without needing another tech visit to rebalance signal levels.

0 Kudos