Menu
James_D
Just joined
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does my V6 Box need a connection via Virgin Broadband to work?

Hi There

New virgin customer with TV, Broadband and Phone. 

I've read a few posts about the V6 box and whether or not it needs a broadband connection to function fully/properly (e.g. with all interactive and on-demand services etc). The consensus seems to be that it does need a broadband connection. Does anyone know whether this has to be a Virgin Broadband connection or could it still work with another supplier (e.g. BT or SKY)? 

Thanks in advance 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Does my V6 Box need a connection via Virgin Broadband to work?

as far as i know you have to have VM BB as part of a package with V6. I dont know if it WONT work but i know you can't have a package with the v6 without the internet.

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

as far as i know you have to have VM BB as part of a package with V6. I dont know if it WONT work but i know you can't have a package with the v6 without the internet.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the V6 requires a broadband connection and currently it must be a Virgin Media broadband connection of, at least, 100Mb.

James_D
Just joined
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies all. As I thought - Since installation my broadband has been next to useless (very inconsistent/patchy) but the TV has generally been okay. Hoping all the work the engineer has just completed works this time! 

0 Kudos
smoggieboon
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote:

Yes, the V6 requires a broadband connection and currently it must be a Virgin Media broadband connection of, at least, 100Mb.

Why 100Mb? The previous Tivo has a built-in connection that I think is 10Mb, and it's totally independent of the broadband connection... So why 100Mb? most streaming services such as Netflix recommend at least 3Mb for SD, and 5Mb for HD. I only watch and record in HD, so really my V6 should only be stealing approx. 5Mb of my 200Mb connection. 4K is just a distant dream on Virgin, I was hoping that they would secure the Football in UHD, here's hoping for next season....

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

smoggieboon wrote:

Ernie_C wrote:

Why 100Mb? The previous Tivo has a built-in connection that I think is 10Mb, and it's totally independent of the broadband connection... So why 100Mb? most streaming services such as Netflix recommend at least 3Mb for SD, and 5Mb for HD. I only watch and record in HD, so really my V6 should only be stealing approx. 5Mb of my 200Mb connection. 4K is just a distant dream on Virgin, I was hoping that they would secure the Football in UHD, here's hoping for next season....

Why do you care? You have a 200Mb connection.

4K is available today via YouTube and Netflix, hence the requirement. 50Mb wouldn't be enough for V6 to share with other broadband users.

0 Kudos
smoggieboon
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Ernie_C wrote: Why do you care? You have a 200Mb connection.

4K is available today via YouTube and Netflix, hence the requirement. 50Mb wouldn't be enough for V6 to share with other broadband users.

I care because I want the equipment to use resources efficiently. I can get YouTube and Netflix on my 4K SmartTV, I want broadcast 4K channels, mainly the Sky and BT sport channels in 4K. Lets face it High Definition is becoming the new Standard! I never watch SD anymore, When are VirginMedia going to introduce channels in UHD.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

smoggieboon wrote:

Ernie_C wrote: Why do you care? You have a 200Mb connection.

I care because I want the equipment to use resources efficiently. I can get YouTube and Netflix on my 4K SmartTV, I want broadcast 4K channels, mainly the Sky and BT sport channels in 4K. Lets face it High Definition is becoming the new Standard! I never watch SD anymore, When are VirginMedia going to introduce channels in UHD.

What channels would you like them to introduce? remember Virgin are a distributor not a broadcaster so name the currently available 4k channels you wish them to broadcast

smoggieboon
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

smoggieboon wrote:

What channels would you like them to introduce? remember Virgin are a distributor not a broadcaster so name the currently available 4k channels you wish them to broadcast

Didn't I state the channels I wanted in UHD? Check out the bit I have highlighted in italics and underlined.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

They're not channels they are a streaming service and are very unlikely to be on Virgin at any time soon as they are a selling point for Sky and BT

0 Kudos