Menu
duster
Dialled in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Do I really need to have the V6 tv box connected to the internet if i just want to watch normal TV channe

Hi, If all I want to do is just watch the normal TV channels without PPV or other internet services the V6 has to offer do I really have to have the V6 connected to the internet all the time? Thanks

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do I really need to have the V6 tv box connected to the internet if i just want to watch normal TV ch

Yes as the tv guide and boxes software wont update.

That aside once it has updated the box still works without the internet connection, but to get it to initially set itself up it needs an internet connection and I'm not sure how long it can live without an internet connection before it gets upset.

frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Do I really need to have the V6 tv box connected to the internet if i just want to watch normal TV ch

stevedh2 wrote:

Yes as the tv guide and boxes software wont update.

That aside once it has updated the box still works without the internet connection, but to get it to initially set itself up it needs an internet connection and I'm not sure how long it can live without an internet connection before it gets upset.

Without an internet connection it cannot update the EPG. Depending on how big an issue having the EPG absolutely current is then it would be possible to have the internet connection disconnected and only re-connect once or twice a day to allow an EPG update. It is likely that the EPG update will then have to be initiated manually although it does not take long to complete on the V6. I have had mine disconnected for eighteen hours and then re-connected, checked that the network was OK and then manually updated the EPG. Just to test of course.

Note that the internet connection is also required for software updates and I am not sure if these would be triggered automatically once the network was re-connected.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

duster wrote:

Hi, If all I want to do is just watch the normal TV channels without PPV or other internet services the V6 has to offer do I really have to have the V6 connected to the internet all the time? Thanks

Besides the already mentioned advice, you'll lose the ability to view any channels after a couple of days or so of no Internet connectivity for it.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
twobells
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you are stuck for inputs I recommend this little beauty:

TP-LINK TL-SF1008D Network Switch - 8-port

TP-Link Ethernet Switch £6

The device is also available in 8 port and is as cheap as chips.

regards,

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

However thats only a 100Mbps switch.. these days I'd make sure I went for a gigabit switch, which are only a few quid more.

Dominatez
Up to speed
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This switch is way to slow. You need one that's faster. Especially if you plan on hooking broadband through it.
It's a 100 meg switch and broadband is 200 megs here.

I use this badboy for my Mancave which streams 100megs and does the Ps3 and the Xbox 360.
Reason : Sony and Microsoft will never hit over 100megs, so it runs fine.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Netgear-5-Port-10-100Mbps-Switch-FS605-v3-/222419436785?hash=item33c93b44f...

Pc is connected to the Superhub3 and has a 1gb connection.
Ps4 and Tv are connected using a 1gb switch too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NETGEAR-GS208-100UKS-8-Port-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch-NEW-FREE-EXPRESS-DELIV...

Hope this helps someone.