Menu
makker99
Tuning in
Message 1 of 28
Flag for a moderator

DOLBY DIGITAL audio drop out issue - in particular after pausing / rewinding live TV

Hi

I recently upgraded to a V6 box.  I am having issues with audio.  Specifically, when Dolby Digital channels are broadcasting I tend to get intermittent audio drop outs (a few seconds).  The issue is particularly pronounced after pausing or rewinding live TV. 

My set up has the V6 connected to the TV by HDMI, then the audio passed from the TV to a Sonos Playbar via the TV's optical out.  My TV is able to passthrough a 5.1 signal (there are no issues with my PS4 audio, which similarly goes from the PS4 via HDMI to the TV via optical to the Playbar.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

0 Kudos
dowie
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: DOLBY DIGITAL audio drop out issue - in particular after pausing / rewinding live TV

Hi makker99

See if this stops it from dropping audio : 

Go into settings then audio and change the Dolby Digital settings to "Dolby Digital to PCM" 

This will rule out any issue with the Sonos (I suspect its the V6 could be another software bug) My Pioneer switches from Dolby Digital to PCM when I rewind or fast forward and back to Dolby Digital when I play again.

Dowie

0 Kudos
makker99
Tuning in
Message 3 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: DOLBY DIGITAL audio drop out issue - in particular after pausing / rewinding live TV

Hi Dowie

Thanks for your reply.  Changing the audio to "Dolby Digital to PCM" on the V6 stops the audio drop outs.  i.e. the audio is fine when the V6 outputs in PCM.  For what it's worth, this is also the case when I just tried changing the output on a pre-recorded programme (Sky Sports 1 HD).

Obviously, this isn't a solution as it means I only get stereo from Virgin broadcasts.  But hopefully this helps narrow down the issue.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 28
Flag for a moderator

HI makker99

I'm sorry for the problems you're experiencing with the sound on your TV service recently, I've located your account to take a closer look at the set top box from our end for you. 

We're detecting some minor errors and I'd like to arrange for an engineer to come and take a closer look at this, if you're available? I've sent you information regarding this regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page. 

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
woolybully
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem,the sound drops out every few minutes. It's doing it at the moment on channel 5 but does it on most others and recordings too. Getting annoying now.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi woolybully, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you are having some issues with your sound on your V6 box. 

How are you connecting the box to your TV? Is this via HDMI or Optical? 

What settings do you have selected on the V6 box? 

Do you have a sound bar or surround system plugged in too? If so, when removing this and connecting the TV directly to the box, do the dropouts still happen?

Come back and let me know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
TallSmileyBloke
Settling in
Message 7 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Did any of you guys get anywhere with this problem of sound dropping out?

I've recently moved from Sky to Virgin Media in the past few weeks and I'm starting to wonder if I made the right decision.  I'm getting the same problem as you guys that if I'm watching a Dolby Digital encoded programme (for example Homeland on Channel 4), several times an hour the sound drops out for about a second.  Non-Dolby Digital encoded programmes are fine.

In my set up my V6 TiVo is linked to a Yamaha AV amplifier by a high quality HDMI cable.  I've also tried switching to using an optical cable but get exactly the same problem.  This set up used to work perfectly with Sky and I also don't get any problems with other devices I have that output a Dolby Digital signal and are also connected to the Yamaha amp.  So it's definitely an issue with the TiVo.

I haven't tried the suggestion of switching to PCM rather than Dolby Digital as this obviously misses the point that I want full surround sound rather than just stereo.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Given how many people have reported this issue and it's not just in one area of the country, I suspect it's a bug in the TiVo box that will need Virgin to sort out.  I'll see what happens but if there's no resolution by the time my 12 months' contract is up, then I'll be returning to Sky Q.  I hope Virgin take the problem seriously and sort it out though.  In a world of 4k TV and high quality digital sound, this is unacceptable.

jwarburton
Joining in
Message 8 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Also have this issue. V6 box. Surround sound amp all connected via hdmi. 1 second sound drops a couple of times an hour on live TV or recordings
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 28
Flag for a moderator

My Soundbar connected via optical doesn't have this issue

0 Kudos
makker99
Tuning in
Message 10 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig

The engineer came yesterday (while somebody else was at home).  He telephoned me and I explained the problem.  He said he would fix it.  When I came home yesterday evening all he had done was change the output to PCM!  So not a fix at all.  The issue remains. Did he report back on the faults you detected?

Thanks

p.s. I replied to Nat_J via pm but was asked  to reply on the main thread.

0 Kudos