Menu
b0xx
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Considering upgrade too V6 have some questions.

As the title suggests I am considering the move but have some questions.

I see from most of the adverts and info on the site it states the V6 box needs too be close too the hub. Also see as a very long term customer I been charged an extortionate amount of money too upgrade as new customers get it almost free. Customer loyalty appears too matter little anymore, maybe I am better asking Sky for a decent deal too switch to the SkyQ service, but for now I will list the questions below. I am pretty tech savvy and don't mind carrying out some new cabling etc if it stops an engineer coming in an running cable if required anywhere he feels like .

theV6 box.

does the hub really need too be near the box? Can it be hard wired via Ethernet cable too the hub in another room? Reason is my hub is at front of the house upstairs and my TV box is at the back of the house so it would mean running new cables and move my hub too the same room but would prefer if all it needed was too be hard wired . Current setup means hub cables come from outside one way too upstairs and cables for tv comes in from the street but go a different way too TiVo box.

i was considering running new cable from the entry point upstairs and moving the hub and running new Ethernet cable from the hubs new position downstairs too my PC upstairs. I also use powerline adapters around the house which are great for the rooms were no cableing is required.

Is the price for upgrading set in concrete? If it is a don't think I would bother upgrading but more moving too another provider too get a better deal.

sure or hope this makes sense too someone....lol

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Considering upgrade too V6 have some questions.

I'll let someone else talk about pricing, but regarding connection, Ethernet via switchs is fine, thats what I have.

Basically Ethernet is preferred, powerline is ok, and Wifi is there if you really need it.

b0xx
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

One way or another a cable has too be run too hub, i would rather it was a single Ethernet cable and keeping hub were it is. If i have too move VM hub then it all gets more complicated an more cableing as downstairs I run a small unmanaged Ethernet hub from a powerline adapter which my Apple TV, PS4 and TiVo box plug into and works great.
0 Kudos
b0xx
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

lol I answered my own question in my own answer above, I already use a power line adapter downstairs so the V6 box can plug into that as it gives me a good 45/50 Mb connection speed when tested.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

if you have a network port on the switch that the current tivo uses you can just use that for the v6.

it has to connect to the network it doesn't have to connect to the SH directly. though a switch is fine