Menu
keithmitchell
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Connections to new V6 box

I have ordered 2 virgin TV v6 boxes and will keep existing TIVI box

- what connections do I need from the V6 box?

- is the wifi to tv and/or to data connection?

Thanks

Keith

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connections to new Vc box

you need the standard coax connection for tv programs + preferable Ethernet, but powerline or wifi if that can't be managed to your hub for upates, app (such as iplayer/ netflix) support and streaming between the v6's

0 Kudos
keithmitchell
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connections to new Vc box

thanks Steve - my TIVO box has a coax connection, but I also need hard connection for the V6 boxes?

So presume the engineer will install coax plugs in each room and back to the cable, inside or outside the house?

If I have a smart tv, and tv and v6 connected to wifi, I don't need a hard connection to the tv?

If it is NOT smart, presume I will need a hard connection to the tv?

Thanks Keith

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connections to new V6 box

VM coax from the omnibox on the wall outside (or an appropriate internal spur) to each VM box (TiVo, V6 x2, SuperHub).

Both of the V6s will then require a connection to your SuperHub, ideally via Ethernet, though powerline or wifi may be possible. Your TiVo only needs the same (wifi isn't an option), if you wish to watch recordings on/from it elsewhere, or use the remote control functionality of the TV Anywhere app.

Your smart TV just needs an internet connection if you want to use the smarts. This can, I assume, be via either Ethernet, powerline, or wifi to your SuperHub.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
keithmitchell
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

Trying to avoid cables throughout the house, so planned to use wifi for V6 connection to superhub. Thought the great advantage of V6 box is that it can also connect to smart tv via wifi so no hard connection, and can place v6 box anywhere in the room?

Keith

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No, your TV, smart or otherwise, requires an HDMI connection to the source of its tuners, in this case the V6.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You may want to confirm the v6 connecting to smart tv via wifi bit as I'm not sure it can actually do that, but would be interested to learn that it can.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

stevedh2 wrote:

You may want to confirm the v6 connecting to smart tv via wifi bit as I'm not sure it can actually do that, but would be interested to learn that it can.

It can't - same as every other device, it needs a physical connection to an HDMI port.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
keithmitchell
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

thanks again Steve

Can SkyQ box connect to smart TV wirelessly?

I want to put my tv on the wall but want to minimise hard connections to it

Keith

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

keithmitchell wrote:

Can SkyQ box connect to smart TV wirelessly?

No - there are no TV boxes capable of that. You'll still have to get power to it anyway Smiley Wink

0 Kudos