Menu
MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Connections on back of Virgin TIVO 6 Box

I have just upgraded to V6 and had problems connecting to my old Sony SD Trinitron TV. It does not have HDMI. I needed to get an HDMI to Scart converter. This gives poor results (slightly blurry picture and Menu text is very bad). May have to buy a new HD TV, but before that would like to try another option. There is an output on the back of the V6 labelled "Scart", but this is not a Scart connector. It is a four pin DIN I think. There are connectors that have a normal Scart at one end and 4 PIN Din + 3mm Stereo Jack on the other, which might connect to the Scart and Audio output on the V6. 

Its a long shot, but does anyone know if this would work and give better results - i.e. as good as I got from the old TIVO box.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connections on back of Virgin TIVO 6 Box

Sorry, I asked that question a few weeks ago and the socket labelled scart is non operational on the V6.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

/sticks engineering hat on
The ideal size & resolution of your TV is dictated by the distance you're sat from it. I'm sure I posted a plot of the relationship somewhere, and when I get to a PC I'll have a look for it.

The original VM TiVo had a dedicated 10Mbps cable modem in the box, so that the app based OD streaming worked, and so the the box could download EPG data, software updates, etc....

This is no longer the case with the V6, so the connection to the SuperHub is needed to support that functionality. Tbh, you shouldn't be turning the Superhub or TiVo off at the wall - they're designed to be powered 24/7. The TiVo uses the down time to fetch EPG data, perform maintenance, update itself, etc... Standby is perfectly fine, and when it's not doing any of the above will be drawing practically nothing.

In terms of auto input switching, I'd be very surprised if any new TV you choose doesn't select the correct input automatically.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
amboman3
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have a look at maplins should be able to get some to go from hdmi to scart

But i would upgrade telly as your oaying for picture qulity but not getting best from it

Nick
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ah yes, back at a PC and found it:

The lines represent the ideal viewing distance for 1080p or 4K (2160p) content on at least a 1080p display assuming you have 20/20 vision.

Sit any closer than that and you'll be able to discern the individual pixels, so you'd need higher resolution content than 1080p (and by extension the display resolution to support it).

Whether a 4K display is worth it is perhaps a bit of a stretch until you get fairly close to the red line (the ideal viewing distance for 4K content), but you will at least notice the difference between 1080p & 4K once you get say a third of the way from blue to red lines.

Display Viewing Distance.png

All of the above, however, still doesn't diminish the fact that until the UHD broadcast standard is finalised there is little point in purchasing a 4K TV because it could well be obsolete within a few months of acquisition.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sorry, I asked that question a few weeks ago and the socket labelled scart is non operational on the V6.
MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Graham,

Thanks for the reply, guess I will have to buy a new HD TV then.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you don't need the 'smart' functionality, I'd suggest looking for just a standard Full HD TV - there's little point in shelling out money for a 4K set while the broadcast standard hasn't been finalised yet, because it could very well render itself obsolete in a few months.

MilesP
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, that is the big question. Most of the best TV's seem to be 4K. I don't need anything bigger than 40/43 inches, so 4K is probably wasted anyway. I do want a good quality picture though, which is why I was reluctant to give up the old Sony.

Slightly off topic, the reason I got the V6 was because the old TIVO was getting too slow and often wanted to record more than 3 programs - the best all seem to on at 9pm. The V6 is certainly much faster and 6 programs at once is great. However, I was a bit disconcerted to find it needed to connect to my super-hub to work properly. The old TIVO box did not. I did not normally leave the super-hub on but now I will have too. On the first day, the V6 froze because it could not load channel info and I had to re-boot both TIVO and super-hub. A backward step I think. Also, the TV automatically recognised signal input using SCART. Now whenever I switch the TV on I have to change input to Cable. Hope modern HD TV's don't need to do this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

/sticks engineering hat on
The ideal size & resolution of your TV is dictated by the distance you're sat from it. I'm sure I posted a plot of the relationship somewhere, and when I get to a PC I'll have a look for it.

The original VM TiVo had a dedicated 10Mbps cable modem in the box, so that the app based OD streaming worked, and so the the box could download EPG data, software updates, etc....

This is no longer the case with the V6, so the connection to the SuperHub is needed to support that functionality. Tbh, you shouldn't be turning the Superhub or TiVo off at the wall - they're designed to be powered 24/7. The TiVo uses the down time to fetch EPG data, perform maintenance, update itself, etc... Standby is perfectly fine, and when it's not doing any of the above will be drawing practically nothing.

In terms of auto input switching, I'd be very surprised if any new TV you choose doesn't select the correct input automatically.

amboman3
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Have a look at maplins should be able to get some to go from hdmi to scart

But i would upgrade telly as your oaying for picture qulity but not getting best from it

Nick
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ah yes, back at a PC and found it:

The lines represent the ideal viewing distance for 1080p or 4K (2160p) content on at least a 1080p display assuming you have 20/20 vision.

Sit any closer than that and you'll be able to discern the individual pixels, so you'd need higher resolution content than 1080p (and by extension the display resolution to support it).

Whether a 4K display is worth it is perhaps a bit of a stretch until you get fairly close to the red line (the ideal viewing distance for 4K content), but you will at least notice the difference between 1080p & 4K once you get say a third of the way from blue to red lines.

Display Viewing Distance.png

All of the above, however, still doesn't diminish the fact that until the UHD broadcast standard is finalised there is little point in purchasing a 4K TV because it could well be obsolete within a few months of acquisition.