Menu
jimbojames79
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Connection Drooping over Powerline

Hi, 

One of my powerline devices died over the weekend. I have replaced both with Netgear 500 models. However, when I try to stream content from my TiVo to my V6 it works for a moment and then cuts out saying the connection has droppped. 

The V6 is hardwired to a gigabit network and if I unplug the Tivo and plug it into a laptop, dslspeedcheck says I get 80 MBPS. Syrely that's enough to stream form one to the other?

anyone got any advice?

Thanks

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection Drooping over Powerline

maybe you have something causing interference on your mains leading to disconnections...

Have you tired streaming for a while to your laptop (making sure wifi is disabled on the laptop) and does that work ok.

Is there anyway you temporarily test with the tivo also connected directly to your hub ?

0 Kudos
jimbojames79
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

thanks for the response.

Ok so at the TiVo end is also an Xbox One (both are connected via a gigabit network switch).

I can play online and watch Netflix on the Xbox without issue. 

No the xbox was turned off when I was trying to stream. The error is V87 if that helps.

No there's no way I can get the TiVo 'properly' plugged into the network I'd need a 20m cable... Hence the powerline.

0 Kudos
jonandmarkuk
Superfast
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I know there used to be issues related to power saving options in some Powerline plugs.
Are you able to check if any power saving or bandwidth throttling is happening on the plugs? 

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

jimbojames79 wrote:

No there's no way I can get the TiVo 'properly' plugged into the network I'd need a 20m cable... Hence the powerline.

You can get a 20m cable for just over a 10er Smiley Happy

Ok just for testing not worth it, unless you can figure a way to run it along skirting boards etc so you could use it permanently.

0 Kudos
spater1975
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I have the same problem as jimbojames79 - I get the v87 'Lost Connection' error despite both V6's connected via Devolo 1200 DLAN powerline wireless adaptors, and other devices like XBox and Amazon Fire able to stream problem-free via the powerline adapters

To try and isolate if the problem is with the V6 boxes or powerline setup I bought a 15m ethernet cable and connected the V6s that way (via the router) - outcome is I was able to stream problem-free with no lost connection

So: looks to me to be a problem with my powerline setup although for the life of me can't fathom what it is. I'm able to access the power saving settings via Devolo Cockpit and they are set to 'Powersave mode deactivated'

I know this looks to be a non-VM issue but any pointers from Devolo experts would be appreciated

0 Kudos
spater1975
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

BTW the 15m ethernet cable connection between both V6s is not a permanent solution due to building layout! Only to to isolate problem source

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

spater1975 wrote:

I have the same problem as jimbojames79 - I get the v87 'Lost Connection' error despite both V6's connected via Devolo 1200 DLAN powerline wireless adaptors, and other devices like XBox and Amazon Fire able to stream problem-free via the powerline adapters

To try and isolate if the problem is with the V6 boxes or powerline setup I bought a 15m ethernet cable and connected the V6s that way (via the router) - outcome is I was able to stream problem-free with no lost connection

So: looks to me to be a problem with my powerline setup although for the life of me can't fathom what it is. I'm able to access the power saving settings via Devolo Cockpit and they are set to 'Powersave mode deactivated'

I know this looks to be a non-VM issue but any pointers from Devolo experts would be appreciated

Given that you can stream quite happily on a direct ethernet connection but drop out on powerline, I wonder if the network protocols used on the V6 are more demanding and less able to deal with packet loss, particularly if this is not the case on other devices such as your Xbox and Fire.  This is, of course, speculation and perhaps someone more knowledgeable could comment.

Personally I have never used powerlines and my primary connections are normally ethernet cables via switches, although WiFi is possible on my V6 and, while my Amazon Fire box is ethernet connected, a Fire Stick upstairs uses WiFi.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
jimbojames79
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I haven't had much time to test/root cause what's going on but I tried pinging the v6 from the same cable that my TiVo is plugged into and discovered that regular as clockwork , every 4th ping took over 10 times as long to come back. I'm guessing this is probably the cause. Did a bit of googling along these lines but not found anything useful as yet.

Will keep you posted.

0 Kudos
spater1975
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Connection Dropping over Powerline

Just had the last V6 firmware upgrade and lo and behold, I'm finally able to do multi room streaming without the connection dropping (ie the V87 error). Have been happily streaming all afternoon. Turns out there must have been a bug in the prior software after all as I have made no changes to my Powerline set up/ home network
0 Kudos