Menu
mikebhm
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Connect TIVO and V6 during transition?

Is it possible to have TIVO and V6 connected while watching up old stuff?

Can the feed be connected to the V6 while watching up the TIVO?

Will Virgin let you do this, for a charge if necessary?

How have others managed the transition?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Connect TIVO and V6 during transition?

I did it by keeping the old Tivo I had stuff still to watch on and swapping it for one of the older Tivos. To do it you have to have both boxes (Tivo and V6) and both must be connected to the coax and connected to the hub. Tivo by ethernet either direct to hub or into powerline or wifi extender. V6 preferably by ethernet or powerline. Once both are connected to hub the other box will show in 'My shows' at bottom of the list. To keep the tivo if you previously had only 1, yes there would be an extra monthly charge and you must tell them at time of ordering the V6 or engineer will take away the old box.

Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There should be no problem whatsoever in connecting two boxes to the same TV, though TBH if you're just using streaming to watch old programs from the TiVo via the V6 then it wouldn't even need to be connected to the TV, just the VM Co-Ax cable and the superhub.

The issue will be that you will have to pay to keep the TiVo as a second box (possibly even for the entire term of your contract) which means you could up spending a lot just to watch your old recordings if you don't have any need to have a second box in a different room. Obviously if you want a multi-room setup anyway then the fact that you can use it to stream your old recordings is just an added bonus.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

mikebhm wrote:

Tavis75 wrote:

There should be no problem whatsoever in connecting two boxes to the same TV, though TBH if you're just using streaming to watch old programs from the TiVo via the V6 then it wouldn't even need to be connected to the TV, just the VM Co-Ax cable and the superhub.

The issue will be that you will have to pay to keep the TiVo as a second box (possibly even for the entire term of your contract) which means you could up spending a lot just to watch your old recordings if you don't have any need to have a second box in a different room. Obviously if you want a multi-room setup anyway then the fact that you can use it to stream your old recordings is just an added bonus.

Thanks Tavis 75. 

Can you clarify the bit:

"if you're just using streaming to watch old programs from the TiVo via the V6 then it wouldn't even need to be connected to the TV, just the VM Co-Ax cable and the superhub"

How do you connect the Tivo to the V6 to watch old programs from the Tivo via the V6? Can it be done with one VM coax from the junction box? 

The cost might make it not worthwhile.

I'm not an expert on the cabling, but I would assume the engineer could run co-ax cables to both a TiVo and a V6 from one junction box, the TiVo would then also need to be connected to your superhub with an Ethernet cable, with that setup you can view any programs that are stored on the TiVo through the V6 box, so the TiVo shouldn't even need to be connected to a TV (unless you need to go in and change any settings etc.). So I think technically there's no issue, the problem is likely to just be the cost, unfortunately to do this the TiVo needs to have a valid subscription as a multi-room box and I would assume that in order to get this you'd need to sign up for a contract with multi-room which will be for at least a year (unless VM are willing to do a special deal with you, but that would be unlikely I think).

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 12 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It does seem a lot of work just to watch your recordings.. perhaps you can watch them before the V6 installation?

Don't forget a lot of series will be able to get the older episodes via streaming in your Series+ links and/or catchup. Many films are showm multiple times on TV too especially Sky movies. You might actually not have to miss much

0 Kudos

All Replies
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I did it by keeping the old Tivo I had stuff still to watch on and swapping it for one of the older Tivos. To do it you have to have both boxes (Tivo and V6) and both must be connected to the coax and connected to the hub. Tivo by ethernet either direct to hub or into powerline or wifi extender. V6 preferably by ethernet or powerline. Once both are connected to hub the other box will show in 'My shows' at bottom of the list. To keep the tivo if you previously had only 1, yes there would be an extra monthly charge and you must tell them at time of ordering the V6 or engineer will take away the old box.

mikebhm
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Corinneangela wrote:

Thanks for quick reply. Not sure I understand first sentence? Why did you swap your old Tivo for "one of the older Tivos". How did that help?

I am not surprised to hear the Tivo and the V6 both need to be connected to both co-ax and internet. The internet part is easy, but will the engineer connect the Tivo and V6 to the co-ax when he comes to install the V6?

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I swapped them because the one I wanted to keep had all the recordings on. The other one was just a spare bedroom tivo with nothing of note that I wanted to keep.

If you only have the one Tivo at the moment, the one you want to keep will need to be installed to somewhere else you have a TV.. and the installation for that will be the same as your original installation - ie.. hole drilled through the outside wall somewhere for the coax cable near the TV. You must make that clear at the time of the ordering so they know they have a second install to do. With the V6, yes also, the engineer connects it to the coax you already have for the Tivo, with a new connector between the coax and the V6.

0 Kudos
mikebhm
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again.

We only have one TV and the one Tivo is currently installed next to it. I have a spare HDMI port on the TV so why can't the V6 be connected to same TV? The only extra thing the engineer would need to do when he comes to install the V6 would be to connect a second co-ax to the Tivo. Does this have to go all way back to the external junction box or can there be a local splitter?

If the former, this is a non starter as the box is the other side of the house and I don't want another wire going all round the house just to manage the transition. 

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Ah then now I don't know.. I have never heard of anyone connecting 2 boxes to same TV.. Best wait until someone else can tell you if that is even possible.

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

0 Kudos
mikebhm
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

The reason why I assumed having two boxes connected to the same TV would not be a problem is that we still have our old Sky box connected (on a minimum £8pm sub) to a different HDMI port, so we can switch between Sky and Virgin easily.

I suspect a co-ax to the old Tivo would need another cable running all round the house.

0 Kudos
mikebhm
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Tavis75 wrote:

Thanks Tavis 75. 

Can you clarify the bit:

"if you're just using streaming to watch old programs from the TiVo via the V6 then it wouldn't even need to be connected to the TV, just the VM Co-Ax cable and the superhub"

How do you connect the Tivo to the V6 to watch old programs from the Tivo via the V6? Can it be done with one VM coax from the junction box? 

0 Kudos
Tavis75
Well-informed
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

mikebhm wrote:

Tavis75 wrote:

Thanks Tavis 75. 

Can you clarify the bit:

I'm not an expert on the cabling, but I would assume the engineer could run co-ax cables to both a TiVo and a V6 from one junction box, the TiVo would then also need to be connected to your superhub with an Ethernet cable, with that setup you can view any programs that are stored on the TiVo through the V6 box, so the TiVo shouldn't even need to be connected to a TV (unless you need to go in and change any settings etc.). So I think technically there's no issue, the problem is likely to just be the cost, unfortunately to do this the TiVo needs to have a valid subscription as a multi-room box and I would assume that in order to get this you'd need to sign up for a contract with multi-room which will be for at least a year (unless VM are willing to do a special deal with you, but that would be unlikely I think).

0 Kudos