Menu
meths
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Can the V6 Display 1080p/24?

So, Can the V6 Display 1080p/24 or is it still just 1080p/25?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can the V6 Display 1080p/24?

Hi meths, 

Thanks for your question. 

The Video resolutions supported are 2160p (4K), 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 576i @ up to 50 fps.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Mattg68
Joining in
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Can you please clarify what is meant by up to 50fps. My TV only supports 1080p/24 and the v6 shows 1080i and 1080p pass thru as supported, 1080p is not supported. However when playing 1080/24 thru YouTube or Netflix, the TV automatically switches from 1080i to 1080p.

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

FYI all terrestrial tv broadcasts use i ( interlaced ) , not p ( progressive) , so all TVs should support that.

p is for watching videos via apps, e.g. from you tube, and for computer games

as a generalisation expect to find i on TVs , p on computer monitors, with both on top srange stuff

the box will send what the TV tells it that it can handle

fps is the frame rate used to encode the video - on you tube that could be anyhting from say 23 - 60 

Blu ray, being based on film, uses a frame rate of 24. as fo films. You may note that 24 into 50 is not a good fit so PAL blu ray playback gets bumped up to 25 i.e. what you see runs 4% faster then the studio intended, unless you have really top of the range kit to compensate for that.

consult wikipedia for more arcane / in depth facts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

a PAL Tv is designed to handle 50fps, and some use doubling techniques to push that to 100 or 200, though whether your eyes can refresh 200 times per second is debatable.

a Windows PC on a digital connection will deliver up to 60 , no more [ the rest of the world uses 60 as the norm whereas the PAL countries stick to 50  }

0 Kudos
Mattg68
Joining in
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Why is the option there then as it sounds as if the pass thru is the only one needed ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Not all TVs support all resolutions and even some TVs that support 1080P don't support anything other than 1080P @ 50Hz

So the multiple options are there to ensure that the V6 will output what the connected device can support.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

FYI all terrestrial tv broadcasts use i ( interlaced ) , not p ( progressive) , so all TVs should support that.

p is for watching videos via apps, e.g. from you tube, and for computer games

as a generalisation expect to find i on TVs , p on computer monitors, with both on top srange stuff

the box will send what the TV tells it that it can handle

fps is the frame rate used to encode the video - on you tube that could be anyhting from say 23 - 60 

Blu ray, being based on film, uses a frame rate of 24. as fo films. You may note that 24 into 50 is not a good fit so PAL blu ray playback gets bumped up to 25 i.e. what you see runs 4% faster then the studio intended, unless you have really top of the range kit to compensate for that.

consult wikipedia for more arcane / in depth facts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAL

a PAL Tv is designed to handle 50fps, and some use doubling techniques to push that to 100 or 200, though whether your eyes can refresh 200 times per second is debatable.

a Windows PC on a digital connection will deliver up to 60 , no more [ the rest of the world uses 60 as the norm whereas the PAL countries stick to 50  }

What do you mean when you say "as a generalisation expect to find i on TVs , p on computer monitors, with both on top srange stuff"

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

sha

What do you mean when you say "as a generalisation expect to find i on TVs , p on computer monitors, with both on top srange stuff"

i mean what that says-  how else can I put it

a PAL TV set is designed to support TV which is 1080i for HD , atr 50fps

a PC monitor is designed to support video cards will output at something+p at  60fps

an expensive screen may do both

any streaming box - Tivo, V6, Roku, Fire, will interrogate the screen device to find out what formats it says it can handle, then pick the best one for each item.

so for HD live TV, V6 says can you handle 1080i - TV says yes - that's what it sends

for the Netflix app it will ask can you handle 1080p - if yes, then it sends that format. if no it may ask well how about 720 then.... or it may start with " are you up for 4k..." 

go read wikipedia of you have a need to know - otherwise just trust your V6 & your TV to work it out for you

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

cybmole wrote:

sha

i mean what that says-  how else can I put it

a PAL TV set is designed to support TV which is 1080i for HD , atr 50fps

a PC monitor is designed to support video cards will output at something+p at  60fps

an expensive screen may do both

any streaming box - Tivo, V6, Roku, Fire, will interrogate the screen device to find out what formats it says it can handle, then pick the best one for each item.

so for HD V V6 says can you handle 1080i - TV says yes - that's what it sends

for the Netflix app it will ask can you handle 1080p - if yes, then it sends that format. if no it may ask well how about 720 then....

go read wikipedia of you have a need to know - otherwise just trust your V6 & your TV to work it out for you

I understand resolution and frame rates but what you put originally made no sense. It seems you were stating TVs were generally interlaced and monitors were generally progressive. 

0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

you may have a tv that can't do anything above 720. the V6 will negotiate this and scale down its incoming netflix, youtube ... content to something your TV CAN handle

0 Kudos