Menu
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 11 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't access recordings on linked V6s

Because we don't want wires running everywhere especially when WiFi should work fine 95% of the time.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 12 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I'm in the WiFi business professionally.

Instinctively I would expect two WiFi relays at different distances from the mediating device (the Hub) not to perform well on streaming. There are different latencies, different WiFi noise levels, different propagation properties. I hust don't see how that can fly.

My three Tivos link through wired Powerline adaptors for the purpose you want to achieve. Really that's the way to do it.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 13 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Also I expect there is a reason Virgin prefer you to use a wired connection..

0 Kudos
adrianm758
Dialled in
Message 14 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Wired will always be better than wireless. 

shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 15 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Yes wired is always preferred for anything Internet based but if WiFi isn't going to work then WiFi streaming shouldn't be offered. Powerline plugs are being suggested but this was the last option behind ethernet then WiFi. Apart from high utilisation in my area streaming of HD on Netflix and YouTube is pretty much flawless on my phone and TV over WiFi so I'm not sure why the V6 is struggling so much.
0 Kudos
Sephiroth
Alessandro Volta
Message 16 of 28
Flag for a moderator

shawty1984 wrote:
Yes wired is always preferred for anything Internet based but if WiFi isn't going to work then WiFi streaming shouldn't be offered. Powerline plugs are being suggested but this was the last option behind ethernet then WiFi. Apart from high utilisation in my area streaming of HD on Netflix and YouTube is pretty much flawless on my phone and TV over WiFi so I'm not sure why the V6 is struggling so much.

That's not right.  WiFi works within the laws of physics.  You should only stream using WiFi where the signal strength so permits.

Seph - ( DEFROCKED - My advice is at your risk)

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 17 of 28
Flag for a moderator

That's my point, the signal strength is fine. Seems to be working a bit better now anyway apart from the boxes keep losing connection to each other but rather than a reboot, going to network settings and reconnecting to WiFi seems to get them talking again.
0 Kudos
pezza4u
Tuning in
Message 18 of 28
Flag for a moderator

Do you still have issues with this? I got my boxes last weekend and they were fine for about a day, then they stopped seeing each other. One is connected via ethernet, the other WiFi.

I can see boxes on the superhub when this happens and also on the anywhere app. I can also stream from Netflix as well so it only seems to be an issue with them seeing each other. I had been turning the box off and back on, the wireless one but have tried the suggestion above of reconnecting to the WiFi and this also works, plus it's quicker.

Is there a solution as I'd rather keep it on WiFi? If not would powerlines solve it and what ones are recommended?
0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 19 of 28
Flag for a moderator

pezza4u wrote:
Do you still have issues with this? I got my boxes last weekend and they were fine for about a day, then they stopped seeing each other. One is connected via ethernet, the other WiFi.

I can see boxes on the superhub when this happens and also on the anywhere app. I can also stream from Netflix as well so it only seems to be an issue with them seeing each other. I had been turning the box off and back on, the wireless one but have tried the suggestion above of reconnecting to the WiFi and this also works, plus it's quicker.

Is there a solution as I'd rather keep it on WiFi? If not would powerlines solve it and what ones are recommended?

I have the hub 3 but it was set in auto 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz on the same name so I separated them then made the two V6 boxes connect to the 5Ghz setting and it's worked since. 

pezza4u
Tuning in
Message 20 of 28
Flag for a moderator

I have the SH3 as well so I will give that a try. Thanks.
0 Kudos