Menu
PjL
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Beware of the new V6 TiVo

There are known issues with the box, and some unknown!  Just had one installed and I now have no workable service.  No one seems to want to admit there's a problem or get me a running service.  Been trying now for nearly 5 hours and I paid extra to get a box that won't show a picture!

All I get is white snow on the screen after it goes into standby or if I turn the TV off and on again, no picture. I have to turn everything on, turn the V6 off at the switch, turn it back on and then hope the picture remains stable...

... or do I?

0 Kudos
PjL
Tuning in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Beware of the new V6 TiVo

Thanks to Mark(?)... turns out this V6 box isn't capable of a 1080p picture. It all seems ok, but eventually the image breaks down. Switch to 720p and it works. Can't see how it's going to do 4K if 1080p is beyond it.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's just wrong. The V6 does a great job at upscaling broadcast TV to my 1080P TV - something that TiVo couldn't do.

0 Kudos
PjL
Tuning in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It may be my V6 is faulty.  Engineer coming back tomorrow to swap it as he can only get it to work at 720 reliably and doesn't know why.  1080 is hit and miss on my TV although the old TiVo worked fine.

0 Kudos
PjL
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

My box is now working consistantly.

First, there is a known problem, when coming out of standby, the V6 won't sync with the TV giving you a pixelated image.  This sounded like my problem, but it wasn't.  So if you have that problem, you need to leave TiVo on and just turn off your TV (and amp if using one) and hope the picture syncs when everything is turned back on (mine didn't), otherwise you need to re-boot the V6 every time you want to watch it.

Second, you need to ensure that the engineer setting up your box selects all video modes in the VIDEO SETTINGS.  This is important, as if you don't, you can't see the menu screen to reset it unless you re-boot the TiVo and it sets itself back to a setting that works. Although my TV specs are higher than the V6, if you only select 1080 (which might be the default), then you may have image problems after the box goes into standby.  The symptom is that the picture will not sync, so you get a pixelated white screen.  The old TiVo put out a signal that my TV upscaled to 1080p, the V6 however puts out a signal that seems to override the TV, so I now get a 720p HD picture for TV but can get a 1080p picture with YouTube.

Hope that clarifies my post and helps anyone else that gets this issue which was very frustrating as no one at Virgin seemed to know what was going on as they only knew of the first issue.

0 Kudos
Ndola19
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

You would expect VM to send out engineer's who KNOW what they are doing...or is that too much to ask?
0 Kudos