Menu
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Better fault finding

Hi have V6 that crashes quite regularly.

I think it would be nice if when it crashed or did something else unexpected it could produce a crash dump and upload it to virgin.

It would then be nice if I could then logon to my account, see a summary of these crashes, and a status of how it is being addressed even if it is just 'an update is being worked on which should address this issue' or 'your box has a hardware fault' etc..

anyway...just thinking

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Better fault finding

Ive had a V6 for a while and not experienced crashes. What are the circumstances of the crashes and does it follow any sort of pattern?

Not being defensive about what I regard as a good bit of kit, just trying to explore whats odd about yours? There were codes to feed back issues on TiVo but not sure if its the same on V6- but Ill ask the question.

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

All my crashes so far have happened when I have tried to wake it.

There is a chance if I left it long enough it may eventually recover, however it may not and after waiting a while and being hassled, I've had to resort to switching the box on and off

I thought it happened after I had previously used Iplayer as thats when they usually happened, however last time I hadn't.

Yesterday it crashed twice.

1st time I tried to switch on and nothing, the light remained red and there was no response either from the remote or pressing buttons on the front of the box.
The app was also unable to communicate with the box.

The 2nd time it crashed, the white light came on, then for about 5 minutes my tv said no signal and just as I was about the switch the box on and off, up popped the booting screen. However it then remained on that for about 15 minutes before I gave up (under pressure) and restarted the box. Again the app was unable to communicate.

In both cases nothing special had happened or been done/

Most of the time it is ok, although I do get the missing picture issue as well.

This message though was really about my thoughts on how fault finding could be improved considering all our boxes have to call home on a regular basis anyway.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hello stevedh2,

Thanks for letting us know about this on the community.

I haven't heard about this issue before so it might be something a technician could look at.  

Just let me know if this is still happening and I'll look at arranging an appointment for you.

Speak to you soon

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos