Menu
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

BBCi player on V6 freezing once a minute while playing

BBCi player used to work fine, however now when I try to use it the sound and picture freeze for around 5 seconds every minute.

This is on both standard and best quality playback.

All connections are wired

Speed test gives me 86.02Mbps on a 100Mbps connection. (evening is around 20Mbps which is why I tested again during the day).

Watching in standard, IPlayer averaged a data rate of 1.5Mbps Peaking at around 3Mbps.

I have reset the V6 a couple of times, but no difference.

I can watch it in HD on my PC without a problem and it has a data rate of around 8Mbps

When I last watched something on the V6 Iplayer, which could have been before Christmas, it was fine.

Is there anything that can be done to fix this as it makes IPlayer pretty much unusable.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: BBCi player on V6 freezing once a minute while playing

Ok I've fixed this.

Unless you use modem mode, have a dual wan and are load balancing this wont effect you.

For anyone interested in what the problem was...

Basically once a minute iplayer does a DNS lookup and was having difficulty getting the primary DNS, so would wait 7 seconds and then get the value from the 2ndary dns freezing wile it was waiting.

The reason..

I have a dual wan, virgin and a relatively slow adsl connection.

The V6 is setup to just use the Virgin Connection.

My router by default gets is dns server address from the adsl connection.

the adsl dns server will only give an address if asked by someone connected to its adsl connection.

the lan was setup with the router as its primary DNS so that it can use the routers DNS cache, and then falls over to 8.8.8.8

so my router not finding the address in its DNS cache was trying to use the ADSL's DNS to get an address and failing.

However managed to fix it

my router can be setup to override the WAN DNS settings with the LAN DNS setting, however I had setup the lan to point to the router to use the cach..
Luckily my router supports multiple lans, so I set up a dummy 2nd lan and got the router to get is DNS settings from there..

0 Kudos

All Replies
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Ok I've fixed this.

Unless you use modem mode, have a dual wan and are load balancing this wont effect you.

For anyone interested in what the problem was...

Basically once a minute iplayer does a DNS lookup and was having difficulty getting the primary DNS, so would wait 7 seconds and then get the value from the 2ndary dns freezing wile it was waiting.

The reason..

I have a dual wan, virgin and a relatively slow adsl connection.

The V6 is setup to just use the Virgin Connection.

My router by default gets is dns server address from the adsl connection.

the adsl dns server will only give an address if asked by someone connected to its adsl connection.

the lan was setup with the router as its primary DNS so that it can use the routers DNS cache, and then falls over to 8.8.8.8

so my router not finding the address in its DNS cache was trying to use the ADSL's DNS to get an address and failing.

However managed to fix it

my router can be setup to override the WAN DNS settings with the LAN DNS setting, however I had setup the lan to point to the router to use the cach..
Luckily my router supports multiple lans, so I set up a dummy 2nd lan and got the router to get is DNS settings from there..

0 Kudos
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

p.s. I gave myself a helpful answer so I could mark this as solved.. not sure if there is a better way to do that.

0 Kudos