Menu
Telewest
Dialled in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

BBC now testing UHD on V6

Our BBC is testing 4K / UHD on the V6 using the Iplayer today. ..
So that means the V6 box has now three means of using our 4K / UHD TV's to their best. ...

Still think that V6 using Wi Fi is going to be the weak point of viewing 4K / UHD on screen. ..

1) it uses 2k Wi Fi not 5k
2) Wi Fi is not a stable, that why we are told to link computers to the hub by cable to test speeds .

Two tests I done using Netflix on the V6 has been broken up with buffering yet my TV has Netflix and over the last six months it has never needed to buffer as my TV is linked to the Hub. ( My BT hub )

Also today's test I did with BBC Iplayer also needed to buffer but it wasn't as long as Netflix needed. ..

Yes V6 box is showing 90% excellent Wi Fi network. ..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: BBC now testing UHD on V6

If by item 1 you mean 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi bands, V6 can use both, not just the 2.4GHz band.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Telewest wrote:
Two tests I done using Netflix on the V6 has been broken up with buffering yet my TV has Netflix and over the last six months it has never needed to buffer as my TV is linked to the Hub. ( My BT hub )

Which hub is your V6 connected to?

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Telewest
Dialled in
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

V6 is linked to VM hub 3 by Wi Fi and the V6 shows its using 2.4 Ghz not 5 Ghz ..
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

..then assuming your Hub 3.0 still has the default setting of a single SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz wifi bands, the 2.4GHz band has been found to be the better, stronger band (when V6 was set up).

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Telewest wrote:
V6 is linked to VM hub 3 by Wi Fi and the V6 shows its using 2.4 Ghz not 5 Ghz ..

Your TV is wired directly into the BT hub via Ethernet?

Which band is your BT hub broadcasting wifi on, and which hub do most of your other devices use?

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
ozsat
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

5GHz being used here

Telewest wrote:

==================================
V6 TiVo (with MRS)
VIVID 350 Optical Fibre (350/20mb) in Area 31
SkyQ Silver Bundle (UHD)
0 Kudos
studio_54
Up to speed
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Telewest - there's some confusion about your set up from what you've posted:  Can you confirm that

• your TV is connected to a BT hub
  • your V6 is connected to a VM hub 3
  • both connections are hardwired

If so, have you tried turning off the BT hub to check there is no interference which is making the VM hub 'busy' trying to deal with Wifi and cabled data?  The VM hub 3 is known to be over sensitive.

0 Kudos
Strangeland16
Up to speed
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Where do I find this on iPlayer can't see anything ??
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

studio_54 wrote:

Telewest - there's some confusion about your set up from what you've posted:  Can you confirm that

• your TV is connected to a BT hub
  • your V6 is connected to a VM hub 3
  • both connections are hardwired

If so, have you tried turning off the BT hub to check there is no interference which is making the VM hub 'busy' trying to deal with Wifi and cabled data?  The VM hub 3 is known to be over sensitive.

The V6/SH3 connection is via 2.4GHz wifi, based on earlier posts.