Menu
GrumpyCatRules
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

A couple of V6 installation questions

I'm getting two V6 boxes to replace TiVo boxes next week and have a couple of - hopefully easy to answer - questions.

I understand that the V6 boxes also connect to the home network via the Super Hub, as well as the co-ax connections. This is fine for one box, which is right next to the Super Hub 2. The other box is in a house extension, which gets a pretty reasonable 40-50Mbs via wi-fi (on VIVID 200) on an iPad. I'm slightly concerned the signal might not be good enough to reach the other box on the other side of the room though.

From what I've read, they may want to install a Super Hub 3 instead, for better wi-fi range. I guess I'll go with it if that's their advice, though I've read questionable reviews of the Super Hub 3?

First question - What is the network connection actually for? Is it only for features such as sharing recordings between boxes? Do all the standard TV functions work solely from the co-ax connection, as with TiVo? Or will the V6 boxes not work at all without a network connection?

Second question, which should be a bit easier - The wall box for one of the co-ax connections is in a hard to reach spot behind a set of drawers. The TiVo box itself and cables are fine. Is the upgrade likely to involve accessing the wall box? I'd guess not, but don't want to have problems on installation day.

Thanks in advance for any help!

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: A couple of V6 installation questions

The V6 doesn't have an inbuilt modem like the Tivo so for a connection is needed for EPG, software updates, and streaming apps such as IPlayer as well as multiroom sharing.

You could probably use powerline adapters assuming there is no way to run an Ethernet cable to the hub.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

GrumpyCatRules wrote:

Anyone have an answer as to the wall box?

Access to the wall box should not be necessary for the upgrade, unless there is a fault and they need to check the wiring in there.  It should just be a case of disconnecting the old Tivo and attaching the coax cable to the new V6.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos

All Replies
stevedh2
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The V6 doesn't have an inbuilt modem like the Tivo so for a connection is needed for EPG, software updates, and streaming apps such as IPlayer as well as multiroom sharing.

You could probably use powerline adapters assuming there is no way to run an Ethernet cable to the hub.

0 Kudos
GrumpyCatRules
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Okay, thanks. That pretty much answers the first question - as good a network connection as possible is needed.

It's a bit of a weird setup, as it's in a detached garage conversion. We have a Range Extender, which is hardwired to a PC - that can get up to around 70-80Mbps from what I recall. When connecting wirelessly to it via the iPad though, it only gets around 20-25Mbps. Skipping the Extender and going directly via wi-fi to the Hub though, it gets 40-50Mbps.

Guess I might just have to see what advice the tech guy gives on installation day. If anyone has V6 boxes already installed though, and has any info on how good the box performance is at longer wi-fi range, whether they've had any problems with Hub 3's, etc. it's all appreciated Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
fergiet
Superfast
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Use powerline plugs. Set Virgin hub to modem mode and get a good budget wifi router. Using wifi router will improve your signal.

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

GrumpyCatRules wrote:

Access to the wall box should not be necessary for the upgrade, unless there is a fault and they need to check the wiring in there.  It should just be a case of disconnecting the old Tivo and attaching the coax cable to the new V6.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong Smiley Happy If my answer solves your problem please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
GrumpyCatRules
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks folks,

I actually spoke to someone at VM today regarding another issue, and took the opportunity to ask these questions while speaking to a decent VM rep. When you get through to the right department in a UK call centre, they're generally pretty good.

They confirmed the information here, so hopefully it'll help others if they have the same questions Smiley Happy

@fergiet

Unfortunately, Powerline isn't an option as the house extension is detached, and on its own circuit. Modem mode/seperate router is probably the way I'll go if the wi-fi signal isn't strong enough. From everything I was told by the VM rep today though, I'm fairly confident it'll be good enough.

Testing at the wi-fi spot where the box will be located with an iPad, I was getting between 35-55Mbps. The rep told me that, obviously, use the best connection, but they recommend a minimum of around 20Mbps for 4k streaming, which I won't need on this particular box anyway.

Again, thanks for the answers folks!

0 Kudos