Menu
littlebrooklyn
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

A bit lost

I haven't had any success in ordering the V6 but I do have a few queries that I'd like to sort out before I try to get through to them again.

I keep reading that this new box has to be hard wired to the superhub, so what happens if like me your superhub is upstairs and your TIVO box is downstairs?  

I know people have said you can get the superhub moved but we don't use the router on our superhub as we prefer to use our Apple router as we find it's more reliable.

Does this mean we will have to move both downstairs or would one of those power plug things I keep reading about mean we can leave it where it is?  I'm finding it all very confusing Smiley Frustrated

Lyn

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: A bit lost

If you're using your Apple router, then assuming your SuperHub is in modem mode, the V6 will need wiring in to your Apple router.

If they are in separate rooms, then you'll need to use either a long Ethernet cable, or a powerline set, or try the wifi to enable the two to talk to each other.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you're using your Apple router, then assuming your SuperHub is in modem mode, the V6 will need wiring in to your Apple router.

If they are in separate rooms, then you'll need to use either a long Ethernet cable, or a powerline set, or try the wifi to enable the two to talk to each other.

To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
Click4
Fibre optic
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

correct me if im wrong.

But previously each TiVo box had a built in modem... and as a result had its own config file, own bandwidth allowance etc so it didn't effect the broadband speeds in the house.

Now I gather, part of the reason for the requirement of moving the hub or hard wiring the primary box is because the broadband modem is no longer present inside the set top box so it requires a connection to the hub to allow internet based video services to work like Netflix, on demand, possibly electronic program guide etc to work still.

However, wont the problem with this be that now as it doesn't have its own bandwidth and config... when using the internet based services on the set top box it will now eat into the home broadband bandwidth instead negating a requirement for a faster broadband speed in some instances to counter the extra usage.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Among other things, the issue will be the cost of the modems - to put what would likely need to be at least a 50Mbps modem to guarantee Netflix performance into each box won't be cheap.

This is also the reason for the requirement for at least 100Mbps broadband, so that the 4K services will work.

0 Kudos