Menu
deans6571
Super solver
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

50FPS vs 60FPS

Quick question for all you techies out there: 

Is there any differences in terms of picture quality, when using 50FPS vs 60FPS? 

Only reason I ask is that I notice that my Xbox One is outputting at 1920x1080 60fps but my V6 is outputting at 1920x1080 50fps however, the picture quality from the Xbox One is far superior than the V6 and wondered if I changed the V6 to 60fps, would it make any difference? 

Helpful Answers
crypticc
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: 50FPS vs 60FPS

No.
60 is better for gaming because the next frame to display a rendered screen will be along quicker at 60 Hz compared to 50.
Movies are always 24 or 23.976 and if broadcast your TV will find it easier extracting those 24 frames from a 50i signal. If you set TiVo to convert to output 60i (or 60p if that is an option) your TV still has to get back to 24fps and you'll see jumps where the two conversion steps are not perfect.
( Unless you have old TV in which case TiVo converting to 50p maybe better - although at least the older TiVo does not have that option so not sure about v6)

Broadcast shows, anything not released in the cinema basically, is always best at 50hz in the UK as 50i is what they are broadcast in.

Netflix may prefer 50p/ 60p depending on the content but your TiVo should have a pass through option for that.
----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings

All Replies
wonkotsane
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

You'll see the difference between 50 and 60fps if you're looking for it. At 240fps whatever you're looking at will be realistic. If the picture is lacking definition then that's not likely to be the frame rate.

Massage an ego, click the kudos button. If someone answers your question, mark it as helpful.
Be nice, eat all your vegetables and keep your room tidy.
crypticc
Superfast
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

No.
60 is better for gaming because the next frame to display a rendered screen will be along quicker at 60 Hz compared to 50.
Movies are always 24 or 23.976 and if broadcast your TV will find it easier extracting those 24 frames from a 50i signal. If you set TiVo to convert to output 60i (or 60p if that is an option) your TV still has to get back to 24fps and you'll see jumps where the two conversion steps are not perfect.
( Unless you have old TV in which case TiVo converting to 50p maybe better - although at least the older TiVo does not have that option so not sure about v6)

Broadcast shows, anything not released in the cinema basically, is always best at 50hz in the UK as 50i is what they are broadcast in.

Netflix may prefer 50p/ 60p depending on the content but your TiVo should have a pass through option for that.
----------------------------------------------------------
TiVo video output scaling-bugs

Tivo-scaling-bug

Virgin-TV-V6 Video-Output-Settings