Menu
Longdong
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

4k content update

Hi I had a reply from virgin media to clarify what I already no about 4k content all that is available Netflix / YouTube
With the new v6 box, yes you can record 6 channels and it quicker at loading (woopie)
I'm a virgin media customer and currently receiving all sports BT /sky, but now with the new v6 box why not ultra hd 4k
I reckon that BT and sky are keeping it to there self's as this draws in new customers
Let's face it with most people buying 4k tvs now surely don't they want the most out of there equipment and choosing the supplier that offers the most
Come on virgin where are our ultra hd channels
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4k content update

Here's a list of all the 4K broadcasts

What ones would you like to watch? None of them are on my list

Remember Virgin are a distributor not a broadcaster so until some mainstream channels start broadcasting there's nothing to watch.

They may broadcast some 4K box sets and some movies (did you know most movies are filmed in 2K)

deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

....does that mean, then, that presently, there is no point in buying a 4K TV as there is no 4K mainstream content?! 

LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Yes
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

....does that mean, then, that presently, there is no point in buying a 4K TV as there is no 4K mainstream content?! 

LittleMick73 wrote:
Yes

Indeed and as the fully compliant 4K Tv's with HLG, HDR, Dynamic Metadata and 2.1a HDMI won't be out until  April 2018 anyone buying a 4K TV is at serious risk of wasting their money

EightBall
Dialled in
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I've found that my 4K TV with HDR blu ray and indeed 4k netflix is indeed a superior viewing experience to anything else I've watched.

Really enjoy it actually.

We'll see, I may have to eat my words.

0 Kudos
shawty1984
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

Here's a list of all the 4K broadcasts

What ones would you like to watch? None of them are on my list

Remember Virgin are a distributor not a broadcaster so until some mainstream channels start broadcasting there's nothing to watch.

They may broadcast some 4K box sets and some movies (did you know most movies are filmed in 2K)

I thought most movies were filmed in a resolution far above 2k? 35mm for example. Not that I know much about the subject.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

shawty1984 wrote:

I thought most movies were filmed in a resolution far above 2k? 35mm for example. Not that I know much about the subject.

www.avforums.com wrote:

The Magnificent Seven rides onto UK 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray with an excellent HEVC / H.265 encoded 2160p transfer framed in the movie's original theatrical aspect ratio of 2.39:1 widescreen. The UHD Blu-ray was reviewed on a Samsung UE55KS8000 Ultra HD TV and a Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray player. Shot in 35mm, with the potential to yield full 4K picture quality, it proves to be yet another 2K-upscaled feature in UHD, with its VFX finished in 2K and a 2K Digital Intermediate technically limiting the end result. Despite this, it's an extremely impressive, textured visual spectacle which benefits from some lavish vistas and remains a frontrunner amidst the better looking titles currently available on the new format.

https://www.avforums.com/review/the-magnificent-seven-ultra-hd-blu-ray-review.13346

0 Kudos
deans6571
Knows their stuff
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

dannylau wrote:

deans6571 wrote:

LittleMick73 wrote:
Yes

Indeed and as the fully compliant 4K Tv's with HLG, HDR, Dynamic Metadata and 2.1a HDMI won't be out until  April 2018 anyone buying a 4K TV is at serious risk of wasting their money

....if this is the case, why are people buying 4K TVs then?! Would a 4K TV make the HD quality any better than say a standard 1080p HD TV? 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

deans6571 wrote:

dannylau wrote:

deans6571 wrote:

LittleMick73 wrote:
Yes

....if this is the case, why are people buying 4K TVs then?! Would a 4K TV make the HD quality any better than say a standard 1080p HD TV? 

People are buying 4K Tv's because they don't do their research, upscaling HD to 4K can look good or it can look awful it depends on how good the TV is at doing it. some manufacturers are better than others