Menu
JohnMcE
Superfast
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

4K Channels?

Are Virgin going to launch at least one 4k channel to coincide with the release of the V6 box? Or will V6 users be limited to Netflix, Amazon or YouTube to watch some 4k content?

0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Well-informed
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4K Channels?

Virgin won't be producing any 4K channels, in fact they don't produce any channels they are a platform for showing other peoples channels ie the BBC, ITV CHANNEL 4 etc, and yes you will be limited to those you mention plus BT sport. Regards Micky
Rs101
Dialled in
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Have Virgin/ BT confirmed BT Sports UHD will be available on this platform yet?
0 Kudos
JohnMcE
Superfast
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I was hoping that they'd at least be a 4k demo channel, and wasn't there talk of the BBC producing a 4k channel in time for next year's Wimbledon?

0 Kudos
Rs101
Dialled in
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

BBC is unlikely - that would require a Freeview UHD service, I'd have thought. They're unlikely to do that until after they've rolled out HD to the English regions.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

BBC are currently saying iPlayer will get 4K first http://4k.com/news/bbc-a-new-4k-ultra-hd-iplayer-entertainment-content-service-17135/
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
JohnMcE
Superfast
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Now we have the full details of the V6 box, I certainly won't be rushing to get one.

The main reason for me would have been to be able to watch and record some regular 4K programmes, but since this will be limited to Netflix and YouTube, anyone with a 4K smart TV can probably access their 4K content without the V6.

So you can record 6 channels at once? Well, for me, it's rare to even record 3 channels at the same time, let alone 6. And on the odd occasions I might want to record 4 (i.e. Christmas!), there are invariably enough alternative/repeat showings that I rarely miss out on anything special.

In the press release, the SeriesLink+ is being trumpeted as revolutionary, yet presumably this is the same as on regular TIVOs?

jbsco
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Sky isn't having a dedicated EPG channel, with by download or red button
BBC no dedicated channel, red button and ipayer
ITV/C4 or 5 no news.
BT dedicated channel but via IPTV.

The bandwidth involved, and the return from so few using 4K tv's means this is prohibitive at the moment for broadcasters and customers.

VM have promised content, I suspect when they launch HDR, this will be via on demand or red button for limited periods.
0 Kudos
Rs101
Dialled in
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Sky has a Sports section on the EPG for Q which lists the upcoming UHD events and lets users schedule recordings. It's not just via red button.
All other UHD content is via download.

That's still 2 more sources than Virgin appear to be offering.

Personally, I can't see UHD being a selling point at all of the V6 at the moment. Anyone with a compatible UHD TV can already get Netflix & Youtube in UHD via the TV's apps.
0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I wonder how many people like me don't really care about 4K at the moment and are willing to wait until it matures but, instead, are looking at the V6 as a potential improvement to their current set-up.

Most of my friends have Sky and, when one announced he now had Sky Q and a 4K TV, it was met with disinterest. Despite the fact that we are all football fans.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!