Menu
Stephen_Sixty7
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

retrieving land line number follwing house move

We moved house about 5 months ago and asked to bring our landline number with us. We had the landline through Virgin Media at the old place and we have Virgin Media at our new place. It was a while after we moved in that we realised the landline did not work. It then took several engineer callouts over a period of several months to get it working. When it was finally working (this morning) the engineer said it had a new number (we had no idea up to that point). But they said to call 150 to get the old number back. I called and was passed round four different people over the space of about an hour before being told that we 'should' have requested the old number within a month of our move and that there was now 'no way' to get it back. Our old number is not being used by anyone else and I cannot believe there is no way to get it back. It also seems wrong that we lost the number we had for 12 years through no fault of our own. I am trying to find a way to escalate this to get some action.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: retrieving land line number follwing house move

Hi Stephen_Sixty7

Thanks for posting on the community and I'm sorry to hear about what's happened.

Yes a number port would need to be requested within a certain amount of time or if you're changing from another company then the number that you request would need to still be active and registered to you.

I can see that you have escalated this to the team already and they have advised it's not possible due to the length of time that you've been without the number.

I can only apologise that you no longer have the number that you require but if there's anything else I can help you with please let me know.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Stephen_Sixty7
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Rose

Thanks for getting back to me. I guess my point was that it was not my fault we could not request the number because a) we had asked for it to be transferred and no one told us we would need to do anything else b) We did not know it had not transferred as the line did not work for months after we moved in and took three engineer visits to repair and c) the last engineer said it was perfectly possible to get the old number back. In view of this, I would like Virgin to request our old number from Ofcom using their Number Management System.

Regards

Stephen

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Stephen

I flagged this back to my colleague on the TOC team (Telephony Operations) not expecting anything because of the length of time it's been. The window Ofcom give us to transfer numbers is 7 working days and this is in line with their policy. 5 months is I would have thought, an absolute impossibility.

Shows how much I know Smiley Very Happy

My colleague Pete is simply brilliant at the role and I said it's very probably not possible but he's yet again blown me away.

I know he just spoke to you and he has sorted this out and you now have the line working with your old number.

I am so amazed at this. I did say if you can do this for me I will be completely floored.

He came back and said 'Prepare for the floor to drop!'

He he

I do work with some awesome people!

Cheers Stephen!

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos