Menu
jewel22
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

phone rings a few times then hangsup

Hi,

My home phone rings about 3 times then hangs up before I answer it. It is ok if I get there quickly to answer, if not it just hangs up does not go to voicemail . I have disconnected phone from sockets etc and it still does it even with with no phone attatched to line so I presume my phone which is 3 months old is not faulty, worked good till now.

I have run a test all seems good?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: phone rings a few times then hangsup

Hi jewel22

Thanks for getting in touch about the landline issues and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

With this kind of issue, I appreciate you letting us know that the phone is a relatively new one but that doesn't mean this many not still be the cause of the issue.

Just to elaborate, I personally bought a brand new handset that never worked from day one so we always ask that customers check the equipment first as being the possible cause of the issues you are having just in case. If we book a technician to come out to you and the phone is at fault then you may be charged for the visit.

if you can test the main phone in a friend or neighbours master socket and see if this is still an issue, or test another phone in the master socket you have with all extensions unplugged then these would allow you to identify if the equipment is faulty.

Once you know for sure that this isn’t the cause, then please pop back to us where we can take a further look into this for you.

Keep us posted and speak soon Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Buzby16
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi I have had this problem many times as a Bt eng.What you might have is a thing called ring trip this is when you get like you say only a couple of rings!I have watched a line socket give a little spark which stops the ringing,in this case it was the socket was positioned above a washing m/c and the warm damp air caused mould /corrosion to form on the contacts causing ring trip! Sometimes sockets are on damp window sills and condensation runs down into the skt especially during the winter months.In one extreme case I opened a skt and found it full of dead ants why they chose that as a home? But if your skt is on a damp window cill or wall sometime a green verdigree forms on the contacts and shorts the line they should look nice and shiny hope this helps to understand and in the summer everything dries out so you can have a weather dependant intermittent fault that is hard to prove where the fault is.
0 Kudos
jewel22
Joining in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi, Thank you Buzby16,

I cancelled my last engineer visit due to waiting a week for them to come and the fault went away before they came. It had been raining too,

fast forward to now with snow and rain its happened again so engineer coming out tomorrow, I hope he can locate it and fix it, I think its the outside wall box that is getting wet as green algae stuff growing on it and the wall too.

thanks for your help

0 Kudos