Menu
cowgirl
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

phone handset keeps beeping and loses signal. Other phone fine

I have 2 phones connected to my virgin phone line. One is a normal "fixed "phone the other is a handset. We have had the handset for many years and I have replaced the batteries recently to make sure that wasn't the problem.

I have a mobile phone which I link to my virgin wifi when I am home too. I also have another  tv set linked to my virgin wifi too. Over the last few months intermittently the handset is beeping and saying it is searching for the signal and on occassions when the phone rings I can't answer it by picking up the handset (but have to run upstairs ) to answer it on the fixed phone.

Is this a common problem with various signals being used in the house , though I always thought that the broadband was a seperate signal from phone or is my handset too old to cope with the latest technologies?

I have had feedback from family that when I have used the handset in the past there is a slight echo but of late (just about the time the beeps started) that has stopped and the line is clearer.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: phone handset keeps beeping and loses signal. Other phone fine

Yep! It may be. If you can get the instructions, look at doing a full reset. There also may be a specific process for "pairing" the handset to the base station. If you still have problems after that, then replacement may be the best option.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Scottydog43
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Have you tried running a test from the Virgin Media website?
I did but no fault was found, however when we tried a different phone we had the same problem so thinking it must be a fault with the phone line and not the phone...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is the DECT wireless handset plugged into an extension? Have you tried swapping that & the fixed phone over? If the fault transfers to the other phone, then the extension wiring is at fault. If the fault remains with the DECT handset, then its likley either to have developed a fault. UK DECT handsets operate at 1.88 to 1.9Ghz, so are not affected by domestic WiFi (2.4 & 5Ghz).

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cowgirl
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to sound daft but what is a DECT handset? The handset sits in its "cradle"  which is plugged into the electric. All it does is beep and say searching sometimes . I don't know how to self test it and the fixed phone is a normal phone plugged in somewhere but I haven't moved the bed out in a very long time to see where. Is there somewhere I could unplug it on the phone?.

The other thing is that I have 2 are they called ethernet plugs? going into the wall downstairs near the handset so maybe the plugs are for both upstairs and downstairs. Maybe I could switch them over to see if that would make a difference.

Thank you for the suggestions though.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Is your second handset a cordless handset that you can take around the house like a mobile? If it is, its a DECT handset. They operate on several different "channels", so it could be the handset is searching for its base station, which it should not need to do unless you go out of range.

0 Kudos
cowgirl
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes it is a cordless and it is sitting on the base station. Do you think it has got "muddled trying to find another signal?

I will try and dig out the instructions for it but it is over 10 years old so I may have lost them now.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yep! It may be. If you can get the instructions, look at doing a full reset. There also may be a specific process for "pairing" the handset to the base station. If you still have problems after that, then replacement may be the best option.

cowgirl
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou for the comments. I have decided to buy a new cordless handset with another handset added and 100% call blocking. Maybe this was the push I needed as the cold calls have been driving me crazy for ages now.

All things happen for a reason.

Thanks one and all for the help.

0 Kudos