Menu
Andania
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

free call charge

If I make a call on call free weekends and the person I called hangs up after 60 minutes, but I do  not hang up for another 10 minutes,. will I be charged for those 10 minutes?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: free call charge

The call stops when either of the parties hangs up. So no matter who terminates the call, the charges (if any) stop.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The call stops when either of the parties hangs up. So no matter who terminates the call, the charges (if any) stop.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

mstombs
Superfast
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

VM really need to get their website clearer, looks like exactly the sort of thing OFCOM have been interested in - didn't TalkTalk get fined for hiding things in small print which attempt to qualify bold headlines?

Take a look at

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/phone/compare.html

Which many state, for example

"Inclusive unlimited evening and weekend calls to UK landlines∆ and UK mobiles, plus calls to 0845 and 0870 numbersϪ "

Presumably that strange character at the end "Ϫ" which is not a link is their get out clause that means "unlimited" is indeed very limited and you have to manually hunt down the footnote which says for example

"Ϫ Talk More Evenings & Weekends : Zero-rated tariff applies to the first hour of direct-dialled local and national geographic voice calls only (numbers beginning 01, 02 and 03), UK mobile numbers, 0870 and 0845 numbers starting within the evening (7pm to 7am) and weekend (all day Saturday and Sunday) periods. Excludes indirect access, dial-up internet, other non-geographic numbers, 070 Personal Numbering, and 076 Paging charge-bands. Re-dial before 60 minutes to avoid call charges. Calls over 60 minutes will be charged at standard rates, except for calls to mobiles which will be charged at 5p per minute. Fair usage policy applies. 0870 and 0845 numbers subject to a shared limit of 1000 minutes or 150 calls per rolling 30 day period. Full details of call charges/connection fees at virginmedia.com/callcosts."

and what is the email address for complaints?

0 Kudos
Andania
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, but this doesn't really answer my question. It used to be that only the caller could terminate a call, so I wondered if I called somebody and they hung up after 60 minutes, but I didn't actually hang up for another 10 minutes, whether the call would be considered as 60 minutes (and hence free) when the called person hung up, or 70 minutes (and hence chargeable) when I, as caller, hung up.

nodrogd has given me the answer I wanted, thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

mstombs wrote:

VM really need to get their website clearer, looks like exactly the sort of thing OFCOM have been interested in - didn't TalkTalk get fined for hiding things in small print which attempt to qualify bold headlines?

Take a look at

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/phone/compare.html

Which many state, for example

"Inclusive unlimited evening and weekend calls to UK landlines∆ and UK mobiles, plus calls to 0845 and 0870 numbersϪ "

Presumably that strange character at the end "Ϫ" which is not a link is their get out clause that means "unlimited" is indeed very limited and you have to manually hunt down the footnote which says for example

"Ϫ Talk More Evenings & Weekends : Zero-rated tariff applies to the first hour of direct-dialled local and national geographic voice calls only (numbers beginning 01, 02 and 03), UK mobile numbers, 0870 and 0845 numbers starting within the evening (7pm to 7am) and weekend (all day Saturday and Sunday) periods. Excludes indirect access, dial-up internet, other non-geographic numbers, 070 Personal Numbering, and 076 Paging charge-bands. Re-dial before 60 minutes to avoid call charges. Calls over 60 minutes will be charged at standard rates, except for calls to mobiles which will be charged at 5p per minute. Fair usage policy applies. 0870 and 0845 numbers subject to a shared limit of 1000 minutes or 150 calls per rolling 30 day period. Full details of call charges/connection fees at virginmedia.com/callcosts."

and what is the email address for complaints?

Is Virgin alone in this? I don't think so.

BT's equivalent page.

http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/phone-packages

0 Kudos
mstombs
Superfast
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Yes, BT website even worse - cannot even find the small print.  At least they include a web page feedback form so i can tell them what I think!

0 Kudos