Menu
cybmole
Community elder
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

charges for numbers in jersey

can someone please explain the rules & the logic

my fire has a friend living in jersey. here mobile number looks like any UK mobile number 07790....

but if we call if from our landline, we incur expensive charges, despite having all calls to mobiles included in the call plan.

when I phones to ask about this I was told it was a "special" number or a skype number ( it is not skype)

so what flags  it as Jersey, and if her friend ( with mobile) is actually visiting the UK when we call her, are we still charged for the call. i .e. does it depend on whether she switched network on arrival ?

the same friend also has a jersey landline which begins 01534...   is that also chargeable, and if so is it at the same expensive rate as the mobile number, or a tad cheaper ?

google says Calls from the UK to Jersey 01534 numbers may be charged at international rates and are not normally included in free call allowances or bundled minutes.

BUT the number is structured like a UK number - idoes not require an international prefix to connect to it ?

AND  the what's included rules for VM call plans says:

All our talk plans include calls to numbers beginning with 01, 02, 03

which suggests that a jersey landline area code should be a free call ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: charges for numbers in jersey

Look the answer is very simple (and has been rehearsed on this Forum many times).

The Channel Islands, Isle of Man are NOT part of the UK.

They are Crown dependencies with their own internal Governments and their own phone services run by their own phone companies. HM Government in the UK are responsible for their foreign affairs and defence because that is what the Crown wants.

Neither are they part of the EU or the associated European Economic Area (EEA) - all by their own choice.

They have legacy arrangements to share the UK dialling system (so no need for an international code), the international code (+44) and the UK numbering system (from the days when the Post Office and BT used to run their services) but that is all.

As far as charges are concerned they are set at non-EU international rates.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

NOT simple

1. I read the entirety of VMS call charges PDF. there is no entry for Jersey OR for Channel isles in the list of countries

2. the definition of what is included in all calling plans is explicit . all numbers beginning with 01, 02... maybe an expensive lawyer can wriggle out of how that does NOT include 01534 but I see no loophole

What's included?

All our talk plans include calls to numbers beginning with 01, 02, 03 and 0870 and to Virgin Mobile numbers. Depending on the talk plans you choose, you can natter away in the evenings, at weekends or anytime without having to pay a penny extra.

so lets reduce this two just 2 questions.

1.are calls to 01534,,, free or not, and if not, why not- given poiint 2 above

2. where are VM call tariffs to Jersey  listed

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

From the Phone Terms & Conditions page on VM's website:

"...∆Inclusive calls to landlines: Your inclusive landline calls are to UK numbers beginning 01, 02 and 03 and 0870...."

http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/about-virgin-media-fibre-optic/index.html

The geographic price list is also pretty clear, as the main header states:

Call rates to UK local and national numbers
(geographic calls, numbers starting with 01, 02 or 03)

All this means is that calls are not included in your package. The rates to call CI numbers are the standard "non-inclusive" rate for calls to 01 numbers.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

well you qoute a sentence that says Uk numbers beginning, I quoted a  different sentence that says all numbers beginning...

terms are at best muddled

one test would be to call 01534.... and see what is on next bill, but I would prefer an OFFICIAL answer from VM

01534 should pass a basic programmed check unless they have programmed in a specific exception rather than a test for 01... 

in similar mode, I wonder how phones that can filter " international calls" like my BT8500 manage this case 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like its a typo in the literature (who employs proof readers nowadays). If its on the website, post the link & I will get it sorted. All the references I have found to date all refer only to UK numbers being included.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

@ Nodrodg

Looking at page linked below, I can see a bit which may need rewording
http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/compare-fibre-optic/index.html
Scroll down too the part headed "what's included?" and it say's
"All our talk plans include calls to numbers beginning with 01, 02, 03 and 0870 and to Virgin Mobile numbers. Depending on the talk plans you choose, you can natter away in the evenings, at weekends or anytime without having to pay a penny extra."

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
cybmole
Community elder
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

teabag wrote:

@ Nodrodg

Looking at page linked below, I can see a bit which may need rewording
http://store.virginmedia.com/phone/compare-fibre-optic/index.html
Scroll down too the part headed "what's included?" and it say's
"All our talk plans include calls to numbers beginning with 01, 02, 03 and 0870 and to Virgin Mobile numbers. Depending on the talk plans you choose, you can natter away in the evenings, at weekends or anytime without having to pay a penny extra."

that is the section that I found & quoted, and on which I rest my case

or can  anyone  wriggle out of any T&C with " it's a typo m'lud" ?

I'd like a legal view from VM , not just from a sycophantic SU.

& since when are SU's charge of amending T&C ?

Is the equation Super User ="I do not work for Virgin" no longer true ?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have bought this forward to the SU Forum, so it will now be chased up.

0 Kudos
n_s_simpson
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Personally I think it's disgusting that phone providers don't have a message like they did when dialling 0800's weren't free. Something like:

"We know it's bloody confusing that this number starts with a number that looks like it should be free to call but guess what, it ain't cos that number is based in the Channel Isles. If you're happy paying lots, please hold while we connect you."

When I'm phoning people I don't think to check whether that 01xxx number is UK or not. I just think it's included. I think OFCOM should sort this out because the phone companies clearly don't warn people because they hope to trap their customers into calling what they think is an inclusive number.