Menu
WezTee
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wrong area code / number!

I've searched the forums and it appears that I'm not unique in being assigned a new phone number which doesn't tie up with my geographic area.
despite numerous phone calls to Virgin, I keep receiving the same script... But I understand that other people have managed to have this problem resolved and obtain a number which is correct for their geographic area 

My phone number begins 01422 which is the Halifax exchange (wrong). As its stands customer service and tech support can only assign 01422 numbers

My phone number should begin 01484 which is the Huddersfield exchange but virgin representatives can no see!

Can someone help sort this out as I would like a "correct" number so that I don't have any problems in the future with my address and phone number not tying up

Cheers

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong area code / number!

Its not always possible. Virgin do not use BT telephone exchanges. Their exchanges are at the local cable headends. The boundries of these exchanges can be different to eachother, & this causes anomalies between the area codes.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
WezTee
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wrong area code /number for geographic area

Hi,

Ive been given an 01422 number when I should have a number beginning with an 01484 area code

I see on this forum similar issues

I've rung CS numerous times but for my exchange they only see 01422 numbers and don't see an issue..but it is and it needs sorting

Please help!!..
0 Kudos
JakePasquill
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong area code /number for geographic area

if the exchange they're using is giving out 01422 numbers, I'm not sure they could change you to an 01484..

I may be wrong, but that to me would mean going through another exchange!

---------

I'll always try my best to help, although my advice may not always lead to a solution. Take it as you wish, I just like to help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

THREADS MERGED.

Please don't post multiple threads with the same issue.

If you wish to add something to an existing thread, just hit the "Reply" button on the last post in that thread.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
WezTee
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Wrong area code / number!

Incidentally my next door neighbour is on virgin and has an 01484 number and I suspect therefore that the cable running down the pavement to the same cabinet that they connected my house to as his is on the same exchange
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi there WezTee, 

Firstly I'd like to welcome you to the forums and say that I'm really sorry that you're unhappy with the area code that has been assigned to your phone line. 

The information that nodrogd has given is correct, the area code that will be given to you, will depend on the loop of cable that you are connected to, and the Switch that is used. In some cases, houses next door to each other are actually connected to two different cable loops, which in turn will connect to two different cabinets. These are normally in areas where the boundaries are a little overlapped. 

I've tried to locate your account details through your forum credentials to see if there is anything that can be done, however I've been unable to do this. So I'll send you a private message in order to ask some further questions which will allow me to investigate further. 

Please look to the top right of this page where you'll see a purple envelope icon, click on this and you'll see my message. 

Many thanks and apologies once again. 

Huw

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos