Menu
JasonCheswick
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Worrying! Silent 999 call from my line this morning

Hi 

I was just wondering if anyone has had this issue or knows of anyone who has before I sit on the phone waiting for the call center........

I was woken by the police this morning at 05:20 advising me that there had been a silent 999 call from my landline. The had called back to confirm twice, had no response (except my answerphone) and dispatched a patrol.

We checked the phone while the police were there and no 999 call had been placed. They put it down to a line fault?

Does anyone know how that can happen? has it happened before? Do I need to call the call center and get this checked out?

Many thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Worrying! Silent 999 call from my line this morning

Hi Jason,

Yes that is rather worrying.   Check that your line is still using your phone number ... dial 174 and an automated voice should confirm which number is in use ... if it's not yours then it could be a cabling mix-up at the street cabinet.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello JasonCheswick,

Thank you for posting about this on the community.

Yes I have heard of this before where the line incurs a fault and rings 999. When this happens your line would need to be disconnected from our end until a technician is able to visit your property.

I can get this done for you or if you would prefer as it may be quicker you can give our team a call on on 150 free from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and one of our 2nd line faults agents will be able to do this for you.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JasonCheswick
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Rose

More strange goings on today. This morning around 06:04 our answer phone recorded a call from Virgins Media automated system asking us to press keys for various options??

I will call up one evening this week to get this checked out.

Thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
JasonCheswick
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

And now the line is completely dead - no dial tone, just static. We have an engineer due out on Friday to take a look as now the line is reporting "temporarily out of order".

Thanks

Jason
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI Jason

Thanks for the response, I've located your account and can see that action has been planned for the team to take a closer look at this. 

I've sent you confirmation information regarding this in a private message, which you can view by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page. 

We're looking forward to getting this issue resolved and I'd love to hear how it goes.

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
JasonCheswick
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi

I forgot to come on and post an update!

The engineer came and advised that he had to disconnect the line to prevent any more problems. It could not be fixed at that time. He found three wires into our house, but only two wires at other end,  suggesting the phone line may have been "joined" but he could not find any access points.

Engineers are due out 03/04/17 to lay a new cable to our house.

It's strange not having a phone line for so long!

Thanks

Jason

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

HI Jason

Thanks for taking the time to update us, I really appreciate it. 

We'd love to hear how the next appointment goes and will be here should you need any assistance with your service moving forward.

Take care

Craig

0 Kudos
Rebecca2017
Just joined
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hi
This happened to me last night. Police arrived 4.30am to report silent 999. I called customer service this morning but no suggestion the line should be disconnected or that an engineer should be sent to investigate. I don't even have a headset connected to the line. Please can customer service review whether this needs to be done in light of previous responses by you to similar posts thanks
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Rebecca2017,

Thanks for your query.

Whenever this happens we would need to temporarily disconnect your line from here and arrange for a technician to visit so please let me know if you're okay to go ahead.

Speak soon

Rose
Forum Team

0 Kudos