Menu
dunky6
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Why am I being charged for a landline I dont want or use?

I recently reached the end of my 6 month promotional pricing and the price shot up. I rang to downgrade my subscription and it still costs more than I really wanted to pay due to phone line rental.

I do not have a phone, do not want a phone and don't need a phone, yet the email I received states...

Here's a quick recap of how your package now looks. Please take a minute to read through and check everything is as it should be.

This email is not a bill, so the price quoted does not include any paper bill or direct charges you may have on your account. It does contain useful information about your services and about our billing.

Your Updated Package ...
Mix Bundle
Talk Weekends
Free Voicemail
Mix TV
TiVo Monthly Fee
SuperFibre 50

Bundle charges total£31.00
Phone line rental
Telephone Line Rental

Phone line rental total£17.99

New monthly package total*£48.99

All I want are the free-to-air channels plus Sky Living, 5USA and Lifetime.  £50 a month seems excessive for basic TV and internet especially when one of the selling points for Virgin and one of the main reasons I moved from Sky as to remove the line rental.

What do I need to do to get the line rental removed and the price down to the Mix Bundle price of £31.00?

Thanks

Steve

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Why am I being charged for a landline I dont want or use?

The Mix bundle (& pricing) includes a phoneline as an integral part of the package. If you remove it you cannot stay on the Mix pricing for the other items, as the phoneline in particular attracts a huge discount on the other services (you are actually only paying around £3 a month for it). So if you renegotiate your package, you could be paying a disconnection fee for the remaining part of the phone contract, plus the cost of your TV & Broadband will rise due to loss of discount, so you won't arrive at anywhere near £31 by removing the phoneline.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
dunky6
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So I am effectively paying £50/month for a 50Mbps broadband as I can get the TV via Freeview/Freesat.

Time for a trip down PC World and purchase a Freeview recorder and cancel Virgin I think - no way can I justify £50/mnth for broadband which is effectively what it is - I cant see what else I am getting for the money.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Don't forget that unless you are in the cooling off period, if you disconnect now you will be paying disconnection fees for all three services. The scale of disconnection fees is linked below:

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-...

Mix TV carries considerably more channels than Freeview, so you are not paying £50 for just broadband. Why not look at what Broadband only deals are on offer?

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
dunky6
Joining in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

To say I am unimpressed is an over statement!

When I took out the package and moved from Sky I was told I could downgrade and cancel the phone line after six months.

That is obviously not the case so I am going to have to leave. I was made redundant a few years ago and I moved to VM to reduce my costs - now they are nearly back to what I was paying Sky in the first place!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

dunky6 wrote:

To say I am unimpressed is an over statement!

When I took out the package and moved from Sky I was told I could downgrade and cancel the phone line after six months.

That is obviously not the case so I am going to have to leave. I was made redundant a few years ago and I moved to VM to reduce my costs - now they are nearly back to what I was paying Sky in the first place!

The same goes for all providers once their introductory offers run out. At the end of the day they are there to make money for shareholders, not save money for the likes of us.

0 Kudos
dunky6
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Then their adverts which clearly state that you do not need a landline are just plain wrong. I am sure the ASA would like to know about this.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You don't need a landline to get Virgin Media TV or Broadband, and never have.

You don't however get the same pricing or package options for TV and Broadband if you don't take the home phone. And Virgin Media have never claimed any differently.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
dunky6
Joining in
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So why does my bill say the Phone is £17.99 - this is just crazy and totally misleading.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

The phone line itself does cost £17.99 a month currently, and if you take it off that charge is removed.

But the current bundle price for you're paying for TV and Broadband is dependent on you having the landline, and it's that price that would change once it's removed.
I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos