Menu
vmc-on-top
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Where is my phone number!!???

I moved house at the end of July and decided to go with BT in my new house, as the wifi signal i got my virgin superhub was anything but! (since the change from the previous NTL modem and router). I spoke to BT to place my order with them and expressly stated that i wanted my number to come with me to BT. 

The BT guys arrived a couple of weeks later and the line was installed, however, my landline number was not as per the order. I spoke to BT a few times, who told me they were dealing with Virgin on this and the order had not been completed correctly (by who I don't know). This went on for a few weeks and i have repeatedly spoken to BT who send me messages confirming my order and that they number was being ported from Virgin. 

Last week, I had had enough, having now spent 2 months connected to the new line (which no one calls me on because no one has the number) so I spoke to Virgin for a total of around 3.5 hours over 3 calls to be told:

1. The number porting had been requested but too late

2. Customer services can get my number back for me... I'll pass you on to them

3. Technical team can get my number back for me.... I'll pass you on to them

4. etc. etc. round and round and round I go. 

Eventually, i spoke to someone in Virgin Customer Services who told me categorically (and I quote) "no one in Virgin knows how to get your number back" !!!!

Surely, a telecoms company (ANY telecoms company) must be able to get a number, which is being "recycled" back to me?? It can't be that difficult can it? I just want my number back again and I cannot speak to ANYONE sensible in Virgin to get an answer to this. I usually get phone operatives who can barely hear me / understand me and patently do not want to deal with the call so pass me on as quickly as they can.

0/10 for customer services, Virgin! 

Is this some sort of ruse to get me back to Virgin as a customer with my number (and the not-so-super-hub) or is it plain ineptitude?? 

Seriously Virgin, WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO GET MY NUMBER BACK!!!??

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where is my phone number!!???

BT are your new provider. Switching to them is GPL (gaining provider led) and they are supposed to do this for you. You need to find out from them what has gone wrong and why. They SHOULD also be able to tell you how they propose to resolve it.

I am not trying to deflect blame from VM, it may well be BT processed the request to transfer your number entirely properly and VM screwed up, but at this point we don't know. And they have no obligation to help you as you have no contract with them. You need to find out definitively where the fault lies, and your best hope of resolution is through BT.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Where is my phone number!!???

Hi vmc-on-top

Welcome to the Community, I'm very sorry to learn about the trouble you've experienced in trying to get your number ported lately.

As Kippies has mentioned, your new provider should be able to request this port and if we receive the request we'll do what we can do help. It's not our team that would request any action to be made so I'm sorry for the mixed answers you've been receiving lately.

I hope this helps

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos