Menu
Nothappy6
Joining in
Message 1 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Watch out for the rip off 118 118 charge

Just checked my bill. Been charged £5.92 for a 40 second call to directory enquires  118118 and £6.35 for a 1min and .07 sec call again to directory enquires 118118. 

Check your bills!!.

Found a site on line which suggests using 08001183733 for directory enquires. You have to listen to an advert but the call is free. 

I don't care what excuse Virgin give for the charge or that others do the same etc. Its a rip off. Looking to leave Virgin asap. 

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 2 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Re: Watch out for the rip off 118 118 charge

Not sure why you blame Virgin when you are the one ringing premium rate phone numbers??, Those little red shorts ar'nt cheap for the adverts. lol

Why not use Virgin's Directory Enquiries from a Virgin landline, free for upto 10 calls @day 118 180
https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 16
Flag for a moderator

As above , Virgin has its own service which is free for 10 uses a day.

You chose to use one of their competitors services, & these services have to make a profit.

The prices charged are clearly stated in the latest price tariff lists.

SU1617jpeg.jpg

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV+), Talk Unlim Telco, VIVID 100, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 16
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd said: "The prices charged are clearly stated in the latest price tariff lists."

That's not always easily to find :-)
Especially when the links do not work, following the links for call costs through various pages, finally ends up with this link for latest prices
http://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/010417_Everyday_Call_Charges_V1.pdf
You'll get the "oh, crikey, we can't find that page" :-(
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £5 big bundle sim. Customer since 1993.
teabag
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Just a add-on for this post, why is the 118 180 not advertised as a feature anywhere, all i can find is bits in the help pages, and some of them say you need to ring 195 instead and register for the service?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 16
Flag for a moderator

195 is the Directory Enquiry service for those with accessibility needs, which is why it needs registration and I believe is a service that can be used across all UK home phone providers.

Free enquiries via 118180 is for all Virgin Media home phone customers.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
cybmole
Community elder
Message 7 of 16
Flag for a moderator

it is not virgins fault that you are daft enough to call 118 118

it would have cost you just as much to call that number on a BT line

118 118   exists to make money from your stupidity. next time you need a phone number, google it 

0 Kudos
Nothappy6
Joining in
Message 8 of 16
Flag for a moderator

You say its not Virgins fault, it would have cost just as much to phone form BT line.

So you think its ok for Virgin or BT to rip people off?!?!?

Do you really believe that people would phone a number that costs £6.98 (inclusive of VAT) a minute, if they knew that was what ws going to be charged?

You miss the point.

Your comments does nothing to stop others from experiencing the same.

0 Kudos
Nothappy6
Joining in
Message 9 of 16
Flag for a moderator

BTW I did look for the number on the web. Only a national number was listed, I wanted number for the local branch, hence the call...........

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 16
Flag for a moderator

Nothappy6 wrote:

You say its not Virgins fault, it would have cost just as much to phone form BT line.

So you think its ok for Virgin or BT to rip people off?!?!?

Do you really believe that people would phone a number that costs £6.98 (inclusive of VAT) a minute, if they knew that was what ws going to be charged? 

It's not Virgin or BT ripping people off. It's how much 118 costs. They set the core charges, not BT, not Virgin Media, or any other provider:

http://www.118118.com/about118

Calls to 118 118 cost £3.49 per call plus £3.49 per minute, (minimum 60 second charge applies). In addition you will be charged an access charge per minute by the company that bills you for calls.

The part of the charge that Virgin Media have control over is the access charge. For service numbers on Virgin Media that's currently 11.24 pence per minute. Anything over and above that is the provider's charge.

OFCOM changed the way that charges for service numbers were shown so it was clearer which charge was the responsibility of which company - https://www.ofcom.org.uk/phones-telecoms-and-internet/advice-for-consumers/advice/uk-calling

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos