Menu
LondonMan
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Virgin's Breach of Contract

We signed up to Virgin Media's "Big Bang" package, which includes broadband, TV service and telephone.

Engineers came and only installed broadband and TV service. Their paperwork didn't include telephone line installation (we only realised this at the end, when they were about to leave without installing a telephone line).

After many calls to Virgin, taking nearly two hours, we were told we could not have a telephone from Virgin because there was "no capacity" (I take that to mean there are no available connections in the junction box in our street). They knew there was no telephone capacity two days prior to the engineers visit, but did not inform us.

After many more chats, we asked about a reduction in price because we were only getting part of the service, and were told we would actually have to pay more because the "Big Bang" package was a special offer!

We still need a telephone, so it would mean paying Virgin more than the agreed price (contract signed), plus continuing to pay for our BT telephone line (luckily, that service is still active, and not yet cancelled).

We told Virgin they had broken their contract and we no longer wanted their service, and they promptly agreed and cut us off within the minute - very efficient.

So, Virgin engineers have entered our home fraudulently, drilled a hole through our wall, and fixed a connector box in our living room - for a "package" they cannot supply.

Replies welcome.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin's Breach of Contract

Suggest Trading Standards, and the Citizens Advice Bureau for starters, then an official letter of complaint to the CEO's office, that may get the ball rolling, and then take it from there...

Think Trading Standards will be interested, also CAB (been through it with VM already, they suddenly take notice when the CAB/TS get involved) 

0 Kudos
LondonMan
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Hugh.

I will definitely get in touch with Trading Standards and CAB. 

The engineers left the youview box and modem/router here. Virgin suggested we send them back! We have informed Virgin they must pick them up from us within seven days, or we will put them out with the rubbish.

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Just wanted to endorse Hughs post and let you know that should the CAB think it appropriate they may well refer the matter to TS on your behalf (particularly where criminal matters such as fraud and demanding money may need looking at).

Can I suggest that you do not dispose of VMs property at this stage but just store it. While you may well be entitled to do as you say it is important to keep yourself totally 'fireproof' and give no opportunity for clouding of the issue.

I am sure you already appreciate the importance of keeping any documentation and maintaining an accurate record of all conversations/contact with VM.

If you are willing to stick with it (VM will delay and be obstructive) once they realise that you are determined to exercise your rights they may well decide to act in a more 'honourable'  way (anything to avoid a court process).

Any eventual outcome would be of interest should you be willing to update when 'resolved'.

Good luck with it

0 Kudos
LondonMan
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Spell.

I agree I should not dispose of VM's equipment. 

Virgin used to have a good name for customer support - but no more.

0 Kudos