Menu
davebeesley
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media, BT Line?

Hi. I have moved in to a basement flat which has a Virgin Media TV/Broadband point in it. Next to it is a BT Socket.

I am currently on Sky Broadband, but have cancelled this and ordered the Player Bundle.

My concern was, that with no Virgin socket, I would need to book an engineer and have more holes drilled in the wall (something my Landlady is against because of the damp lining and rendering, hence the switch to Virgin as Sky won't install a dish without using ladder safety mountings in the front wall)

Anyway, I live chatted to VM CS. And the guy I spoke to said it's not a problem, during my self install all i need to do is plug my phone into the BT Openreach socket.

I always thought Virgin didn't use the openreach network for phonelines? Is this still the case, and have VM just fobbed me off?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media, BT Line?

vm are wrong they will need to install their own phone line. The BT one will not work
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

offshore was it - if so thats as good as it gets - you are right he/she is talking bullsk1t - you will/may need a tech visit 

i say will/may as a couple of things are possible - the BT socket may be VM used by a lazy installer or the front changed by the previous user

if not you will need a tech but it may not need more holes drilling - the cable from the cabinet should carry a phone line - if it was not connected then it likely terminates in the external box - so thread a cable through existing hole and add internal socket 

Tony
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

vm are wrong they will need to install their own phone line. The BT one will not work
0 Kudos
davebeesley
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I thought that was the case. But I'm also reluctant to have another hole drilled in the wall of the building.

Is it possible the cabling is there, just not the socket?

Does the cabling come through as part of the the TV point or is it separate?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

offshore was it - if so thats as good as it gets - you are right he/she is talking bullsk1t - you will/may need a tech visit 

i say will/may as a couple of things are possible - the BT socket may be VM used by a lazy installer or the front changed by the previous user

if not you will need a tech but it may not need more holes drilling - the cable from the cabinet should carry a phone line - if it was not connected then it likely terminates in the external box - so thread a cable through existing hole and add internal socket 

Tony
0 Kudos
davebeesley
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Cool. It did seem fishy.

I'll see if there is a phone cable coming from the external box into the property already. The BT socket is right next to the Virgin TV point. So I suspect some lazy/tidy Openreach engineer has used the same backbox and just hidden the Virgin cabling in the recess.

0 Kudos
davebeesley
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

All sorted.

I have spoken to CS and they have arranged for me to self install my TV and BB, then they will send an engineer to assess and install the phone.

Thanks for your advice both Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi davebeesley,

Welcome to the Community!

Glad you've got that sorted out. Keep us updated when the technician comes out and let me know if you need anything else.

All the best! Smiley Very Happy

Josh

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos