Menu
Annzie
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

URGENT. Informed Virgin of a line port 1 month ago. I'm a carer for 2 people. I need to keep my number!

I ordered a full package from Virgin on the 16th of November. I was given an installation date of the 14th. When I ordered this package I fully made clear I wanted my old line ported. I'm a carer for 2 disabled people and I need to keep this line for doctors calls, prescriptions and all kinds of things that relate to this. Above all EMERGENCIES. I proceeded to cancel with Sky who said my services would cease on the 19th.

An engineer came on the 14th. He installed the TV, broadband and phone. He gave us a piece of paper and said this is your new number. We informed him of the line port as we requested at the point of sale. He told us to ring Virgin and they would sort it straight out. We proceeded to ring Virgin who said that they couldn't do this and it would take them some time to sort this out. We told them that Sky was going to be cut off on the 19th and we would have to keep this number because of the circumstances. Basically the number has to stay with us because of the disabled people I'm caring for. They told us to ring Sky to extend the service because it would take up to 10 working days to port the number. We did and a Sky operator said he would call us back after he had sorted out an extension to allow for the port. He called back the next day and said Virgin had made a request for the 24th and he posted it out in writing which we recieved the next day.

We called Virgin over another issue and were told that the line would be ported over on the 23rd. We called again over a few other things and were told the 23rd repeatedly. I rang today and Virgin said that it could be the 23rd but could take up to the 28th. I asked for a manager and was told one was not available.I rang Sky and they said that they could not extend the service as the port has been set up with them for the 24th and it is not possible.

So if they have a set date from you, which I have in writing and I have been told that it would be the 23rd up until today what has changed and will this definitely go through?

I set up the line port over a month ago and this should have gone through on the engineers visit. Instead the engineer dumped it in my lap and I have called you did what was asked. We have been chasing this up for a week now when Virgin should have done all of this. At no point have we been rude (even amongst other issues) and we have done what has been asked of us. Are Virgin going to do what is asked of them after already failing once?

I need this line to stay with us. It is literally a matter of safety.

I hope you can get back to me quickly and with a solid resolution.

Thank you.

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: URGENT. Informed Virgin of a line port 1 month ago. I'm a carer for 2 people. I need to keep my numbe

ASAP here can be a week or more to  get things moving as thats the time it takes VM to get to threads - will flag this and hopefully get it looked at sooner - not sure what the staff here can do but lets wait and see

Tony
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: URGENT. Informed Virgin of a line port 1 month ago. I'm a carer for 2 people. I need to keep ...

Hello Annzie,

Welcome to the community and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing with your number port.

Unfortunately the porting dates can't be changed once they have been processed but it can take up to 10 working days to port a number when a number port request has been put through. I have located your account and I can see you've spoken to a couple of people regarding this but as this issue is dealt with by our Customer service team I gave them another ring for you and they have advised me that your number should be ported by the 28th regardless if you've disconnected from Sky because the number port is already in progress. I can't guarantee there won't be a temporary loss of your telephone service while the number is exchanging over to us but then you should have your Sky number. If you're still unsure I would give our Customer Service team another ring on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and they'll be able to discuss this with you in more details.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: URGENT. Informed Virgin of a line port 1 month ago. I'm a carer for 2 people. I need to keep ...

Hi Annzie,

Thanks for getting back in touch and letting us know that you number port has now gone through--that's great news!

I'll check into your Netflix code issue now and send you an update via private message. Just click the envelope icon at the top right of this screen.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 12 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi AAnnzie,

Apologise for this, the information that I have available shows the end date for this offer is June 30th. 

Please give customer services a call so this can be looked into further for you.

Thanks,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

All Replies
Annzie
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: URGENT. Informed Virgin of a line port 1 month ago. I'm a carer for 2 people. I need to keep my numbe

I really need this sorted out ASAP if someone could look at this. As I said It's a matter of safety. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ASAP here can be a week or more to  get things moving as thats the time it takes VM to get to threads - will flag this and hopefully get it looked at sooner - not sure what the staff here can do but lets wait and see

Tony
Annzie
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Tony,

Everything is in place from Sky's end up until yesterday we were told the port was good to go for the 23rd. I need this line open because if it does go down over the holiday season there will be no way for the relevant people to contact us. I tried to speak with a manager yesterday and I was told I couldn't speak to one. Sky said that the port date won't extend past the date Virgin have given them. If Virgin have given them a date it should be their responsibility to honour it. I've explained all the circumstances above to them. I really hope someone looks at this. The port could go through but I literally can't afford them to mess this up. This is shattering my nerves! I hope they look sooner than later!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hello Annzie,

Welcome to the community and I'm sorry to hear about the issues you've been experiencing with your number port.

Unfortunately the porting dates can't be changed once they have been processed but it can take up to 10 working days to port a number when a number port request has been put through. I have located your account and I can see you've spoken to a couple of people regarding this but as this issue is dealt with by our Customer service team I gave them another ring for you and they have advised me that your number should be ported by the 28th regardless if you've disconnected from Sky because the number port is already in progress. I can't guarantee there won't be a temporary loss of your telephone service while the number is exchanging over to us but then you should have your Sky number. If you're still unsure I would give our Customer Service team another ring on 150 from a Virgin Media landline or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and they'll be able to discuss this with you in more details.

Kind regards

Rose
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Annzie
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Rose,

I spoke to Sky around 3pm and was told that I could not get an extension as Virgin had made the request and that Virgin would take the line over as of the date given. I called Virgin around 3:30pm and spoke to a very helpful lady called Tracey. She explained that the number port will go through on the 23rd as Virgin hold all the details and the port is arranged between Virgin and Sky. Virgin will hold the line as of the date they informed Sky of. Also as Virgin installed a line on the 14th it would switch straight to that line as it already is in place for the port. All that will happen is my Sky line will go dead and the number will switch to the Virgin line when it does. My billing will stop with Sky as of the switch and the number will be a Virgin number. Sorry I didn't reply earlier as I was on the phone and then my reply didn't go through because of an error. So I had to type this again. Oh well, the forum is faulty but at least the people I've dealt with today have been great! Thanks Rose for your reply. This whole thing would have been easier if someone could have just explained this process properly at some point. When I requested the port would have been best. The phonecall yesterday where the advisor told me I could lose the number was worrying. I told multiple operators I had a confirmation letter from Sky and I'd already got an extension so Virgin could port the number. Even better still if the port was done as promised by the sales rep. Anyway enough about that now. Yourself and Tracey have been very helpful, professional and clear. If it all goes as planned it will go through on the 23rd and I won't lose my number as Virgin will own it. I will keep you posted on what happens. Rose and Tracey thank you both for easing my worries.

Many, many thanks

Annzie

0 Kudos
AJohnson
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, a similar situation is happening at the moment to my mum and partner!  I have just left her in floods of tears over this!  She is switching from Sky to Virgin and was assured by both Sky and Virgin that she could port her phone number and it seems both parties are not interested in following this through.  Both her and her partner have made numerous calls to Sky and Virgin and are just going around in circles with no-one helping!  She has a 95 yr old mother whom she is carer to and NEEDS to keep her phone number.

Virgin have given them a temporary number (on which they are constantly receiving phone calls for other people!) and have now said she cannot have her old number back.  I know Sky still retain the number (I have a contact at BT Openreach who has looked into this for me), it is still registered to my mum at her current address and has not been reallocated, yet Sky are saying "its gone".   This is blatantly untrue.

If there is Virgin admin on here, I appreciate some help please!  I appreciate "due to data protection" you will not be able to give me details of her account but I would be happy to pass on information to you.

This situation is making her miserable and is really not a great start!   If she does not receive some help by the morning, I have told her to cancel the account immediately.

0 Kudos
Annzie
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The line port went through on the 24th. At last! No loss of service. Thanks Rose and Tracey again for clarifying the process. It didn't go through on the day that was planned so I was a bit worried but no loss of service to my number. There's a few more things Virgin need to sort out like the Netflix code for free Netflix that was promised at the point of sale I haven't recieved yet and the router being installed in possibly the worst spot in the house. (next to a mirror, wall and cordless phone). I was given a leaflet explaining the best place to put the router by the engineer on his way out! Virgin are sorting out the router but no code as of yet. Things are slowly looking better after a pretty bad start by Virgin. The T.V. service is great and my phone line is much clearer now than on Sky. Thanks Tony, Rose, Tracey and a guy called Gareth who sorted out the router mess.

Thanks

Annzie

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Annzie,

Thanks for getting back in touch and letting us know that you number port has now gone through--that's great news!

I'll check into your Netflix code issue now and send you an update via private message. Just click the envelope icon at the top right of this screen.

Kind regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Annzie
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello Terri,

Yes the line port went through and Virgin have made steps to correct everything except the Netflix. I messaged you back about the Netflix. I'm wondering if I didn't recieve the first e-mail, the sales rep mis-sold the package or two customer services operators who said we'd get a code were wrong. I know the an operator made a note to say it would be honoured on the 14th Dec. Things are getting better after a bad start. I also wanted to order another V6 box because the T.V. service is great but the customer service operator said I couldn't do this until the port was done. He said it would be a one off of £49.95.

Thanks Annzie

0 Kudos