Menu
NIUser
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Telephone help

Hope the forum can help! I have my Virgin phone active and have another active telephone line, which I want to end, though would like to keep the old number and use it as my Virgin numner. I also would like caller display activated. Tried ringing them tonigh to get this sorted, though after 30 mins waits and speaking with two advisers, I was put back to the start again! Hope someone here can help or even Virgin themselves. Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
zainisthebest
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Telephone help

It would've been easier for you to have told the Virgin sales assistant that you wanted to keep your current number because they would've contacted your current provider and cancelled your broadband and phone services with them. You can still request a number port but it isn't always 100% successful. May i ask whom your current provider is on the other phone line? Regarding the caller display, call up Virgin Media on 0800 064 3839 - option 4, normally they charge a £2.25 monthly fee for this but if you ask to be transferred to the retention's department you'll be able to get it for free. Also because you've already got a virgin phone line it might take up to 14 days for your number to transfer on to Virgin's phone network. 

0 Kudos
zainisthebest
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My cousin was in a similar situation where she had her phone line from sky but her broadband from Virgin Media. She rang up Virgin and said she wanted to add a phone line and they said that she'd be able to keep her current sky number, and virgin contacted sky on her behalf. And the number was ported over on the day the installation of the phone line took place. You can still ask Virgin to port your current Post Office number. Do you know which area reference you're in/first half of the postcode. Because sometimes it depends on if the equipment is advanced enough to even get caller display. I can't believe some areas can't even get caller display yet! I'm in area reference 31/CV6 and my area was ex ntl/comtel so caller display is available in my area.
I'll put it into steps for you to make it much easier to read lol
Step 1: Call Virgin up saying you want to port your current post office number over to virgin. They'll tell you if they can and how long it will take. If not they'll tell you why they can't.
Step 2: once you've done step 1 ask if caller display is available in your area. And if it is, they'll try to charge you £2.25 a month for it but tell them that post office currently has no charge for it. If they don't agree to that ask to be put through to the retentions department and usually they do it.
Step 3: If you do get the caller display it normally becomes active within 24 hours of ordering it
Step 4: if you were able to port your number to virgin then 14 days later hopefully your number should be on virgins network.
Step 5: NOTHING!!

All Replies
zainisthebest
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It would've been easier for you to have told the Virgin sales assistant that you wanted to keep your current number because they would've contacted your current provider and cancelled your broadband and phone services with them. You can still request a number port but it isn't always 100% successful. May i ask whom your current provider is on the other phone line? Regarding the caller display, call up Virgin Media on 0800 064 3839 - option 4, normally they charge a £2.25 monthly fee for this but if you ask to be transferred to the retention's department you'll be able to get it for free. Also because you've already got a virgin phone line it might take up to 14 days for your number to transfer on to Virgin's phone network. 

0 Kudos
NIUser
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My phone line was only with Post Office (no broadband) and I only took the Virgin phone option as it was cheaper to have three services with them.

0 Kudos
zainisthebest
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

My cousin was in a similar situation where she had her phone line from sky but her broadband from Virgin Media. She rang up Virgin and said she wanted to add a phone line and they said that she'd be able to keep her current sky number, and virgin contacted sky on her behalf. And the number was ported over on the day the installation of the phone line took place. You can still ask Virgin to port your current Post Office number. Do you know which area reference you're in/first half of the postcode. Because sometimes it depends on if the equipment is advanced enough to even get caller display. I can't believe some areas can't even get caller display yet! I'm in area reference 31/CV6 and my area was ex ntl/comtel so caller display is available in my area.
I'll put it into steps for you to make it much easier to read lol
Step 1: Call Virgin up saying you want to port your current post office number over to virgin. They'll tell you if they can and how long it will take. If not they'll tell you why they can't.
Step 2: once you've done step 1 ask if caller display is available in your area. And if it is, they'll try to charge you £2.25 a month for it but tell them that post office currently has no charge for it. If they don't agree to that ask to be put through to the retentions department and usually they do it.
Step 3: If you do get the caller display it normally becomes active within 24 hours of ordering it
Step 4: if you were able to port your number to virgin then 14 days later hopefully your number should be on virgins network.
Step 5: NOTHING!!
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi NIUser

Welcome to the Community, I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've been experiencing in porting your old telephone number over to us.

I'd like to take a closer look at this to ensure the team are doing what they can to get that done if possible. To allow me to do that, could you respond to the private message I've sent with the requested information, you can view the message by clicking the envelope on the top right of this page.

Is the post office line still active too? As we'd need that to be the case to be able to request the number is portedMan Happy

Look forward to hearing from you

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
parkavenue8
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I told the engineer I wanted to continue with my number removed

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
parkavenue8
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

He explained that it would take 24 hours for the telephone before being active It is now almost 48 hours, and still no phone 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear about this parkavenue8,

I've checked everything from this end and the line state appears as active currently.

Are you still experiencing trouble with this?

Hope to hear back from you soon,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos