Menu
igw
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Stopping scam phone calls

I keep getting calls from what sound like Indian call centres, generally either saying they are calling about my BT internet connection or about problems with my Windows computer. Now I know these are scams - obviously as a VM cable customer, I do not have a BT internet connection, and as a Mac user I do not have a Windows computer.

These are a real nuisance, and I find getting these calls quite distressing - after all these are criminals trying to find a way of defrauding me. I know I should just hang up on them, but I find that really hard to do. I want to find a way of making them stop.

So... Doesn't VM have the technology to prevent this kind of call getting through?

I know that, for an extra charge, I could block callers who don't divulge their numbers, or block overseas calls, but I am reluctant to do that because I might not receive some calls that I do want.

Isn't there a technological solution that VM can provide?

Ian

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stopping scam phone calls

No providers can stop these calls. To be truthful, how would Virgin (or any provider) be able to differentiate a legitimate call from a sales / spam call ? - A lot of companies can use disposable numbers thanks to VOIP

Going on the TPS will (in theory) stop UK based cold calling, but not overseas. Regretfully it appears that its something we have to put up with.

My mobile is not listed, and the number is only known to a couple of friends, yet in the past week I have received three "you've been in an accident calls", and a Whatsapp message from a "Karen" asking me if I want to see some photo's of her.

Sad times ....
0 Kudos
igw
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I already am on TPS, but of course that doesn't prevent overseas calls.

Thanks for replying.

Ian

0 Kudos
calplumb
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I have just invested in a BT Guardian phone and that has stopped all nuisance calls, not had one since it has been installed.
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I dont want to go down the route of buying a new phone, but I seem to recall you could also buy a box which your phone plugged into which would also stop the calls ?
Time for me to Google !
0 Kudos