Menu
joannack
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Still no landline...

I switched my phone and broadband to Virgin Media on the 3rd January and am deeply regretting my decision. I do not yet have a working landline (which was working fine before the switch) and am really struggling to get an explanation for the series of delays that I've experienced. The latest update I've had is that it's not going to be fixed until the 10th March which is an unacceptable delay.

I'm one of these rare people that actually needs a landline as I can only get mobile signal in one room of the house and even then it keeps on cutting out during a call. Without going in to my personal circumstances in detail here, not being contactable by phone is a big inconvenience.

Can someone tell me how I can get through to someone who can explain what has happened?

I did speak to someone in customer services today and was told to expect a call back today from a customer service manager this morning. I have still not received a call.

The series of events that have happened so far:

The engineer who came to set up my phone and broadband on 7th January said there was a problem with the landline and said he needed to book a re-pull. He said someone from Virgin Media would get in touch with me to tell me the date and it would be withing 10 to 14 days. I accepted those timescales at the time, it was inconvenient but I could work around it.

I never heard from anyone at Virgin so I called before between 10 and 14 days to find out what was going on. There was a lot of confusion, and I was told there were no problems with my landline. I tried to explain that I had no landline since switching and that had been told that a re-pull was necessary but after speaking to three different people I don't think anyone understood what had happened so far. An engineer was booked in to come and 'fix the landline' on the 26th January.

When the engineer arrived he said he couldn't do a re-pull (no surprise there!), that there was no record of a re-pull being requested. He phoned up someone and booked a re-pull there and then which was scheduled for the 17th February.

I then received a phone call today to say that it was going to be rescheduled again for the 10th March because a permit from the council was required to dig up the pavement.

I'm so frustrated and am locked into a contract so I have been told it would cost me hundreds of pounds if I wanted to leave. As far as I am concerned I'm not getting the service I have signed up for.

0 Kudos
sanjayh1
Joining in
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still no landline...

Well, this doesnt surprise me. I've had my subscription started since the 13th Jan where only the broadband had been setup and phone line left in a shambles with the old BT cable lying broken on walls inside and outside with the worst being the Virgin fibre optic cable nailed onto the front surface of my vintage picture rails across the wall. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that cabling should alway be hidden along the sill or in the corner of a frame BUT never directly in your face. GOSH... 

The engineer spent a few hours complaining that Virgin are to blame for not setting up my line and even called me a week later telling me to 'complain' directly to Virgin.

2 phone calls, 1 letter & 30days later, I'm waiting for a area supervisor to call me or anyone from Virgin to call and explain why I'm being billed and still don't have a phone line! I hope you get lucky, I certainly haven't.  

0 Kudos
joannack
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to hear I'm not the only person having such problems. I think a lot of issues and complaints could be alleviated if there was a more proactive approach to customer service. It just aggravates an issue when, as in my case, you are told you will get a call back and it never happens. 

I have also managed to get some credit applied to my account to compensate for the lack of a landline (though not for the full amount of the line rental) but again, I had to ask for it. If this had been done pro-actively by Virgin then I would have been left feeling a lot happier. 

In other news, last night I actually got a text message confirming the appointment I had on the 17th February despite the fact I had a phone call from Virgin yesterday saying that it had been cancelled. I am assuming that the phone call was the accurate one and the text message a mistake... either way, I have cancelled my day of annual leave for the 17th now so won't be at home! 

0 Kudos
itstheh
Just joined
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The answer is simple to this issue. Cancel everything you have with Virgin Media and go with alternative companies. They are  so automated now that you cannot speak with anyone in the UK, and their call centres in Asia cannot resolve any issues except log tickets.

Virgin media talk the talk, something most of their customers can't do as they don't have a working phone line, but they do NOT walk the walk.

I am in the process of invoicing them for a shed load of wasted and lost time trying to resolve my issue, only to find out it was quicker and easier to get BT into fit a new line. Now that new line is fitted I am in the process of getting my broadband with other suppliers and then I will dump virgin media all together.

In simple terms, deal with a company where you can talk to a UK operator and get good customer service.

0 Kudos
joannack
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I asked about cancelling my contract several weeks ago as then it wasn't acceptable for me to wait until the 17th February to get a landline. I was told then it would cost a lot of money to cancel, I think I was told around £260. I would have thought I should be able to cancel if I'm not getting the service I signed up for but was told no. I've taken a look at the T&Cs of the contract and there doesn't appear to be any kind of service level agreement. 

One thing I don't understand is that my landline was working fine before the switch, do Virgin use a different line to other providers? I've not yet been able to get an explanation out of anyone I've spoken to as to why it suddenly stopped working, so I can only assume Virgin use a different physical phone line. Can anyone tell me if that is correct? If I do end up cancelling and going back to my old provider I would like to know if they would still need to fix the landline or whether they would be using a different line which wouldn't cause problems. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there joannack, 

I'm really sorry to hear that you've been experiencing some issues in getting the phone line activated. I'd also like to welcome you to the forums. 

I've taken a look at things and can see that the reason for the delay is down to an issue with the ducting that carries the cable from the cabinet in the street to the property, this is why we will need to do some external work (digging up of roads) before we are able to place a new cable to the house. 

This can take some time, as we need to apply for permits from the local authorities. 

The phone line that we provide does come down to the property differently than any other supplier, as we use our own network - All other suppliers will use existing BT cabling, this will explain why it would have been working prior to the switch over.

Apologies once again.

Huw 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
joannack
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Huw,

Thank you for your reply.

Are you able to help further by finding out why I still don't have a landline? An engineer came today and did the re-pull but said there was still some problem (something with the exchange?). Unfortunately I couldn't take the time off work today to be in the house so I didn't speak to the engineer myself and I've been on the phone to various departments, getting passed from one place to another and no-one can explain what is happening or when I am going to get a landline. This evening I had a voicemail from someone I spoke to earlier saying that my landline would work but it doesn't.

I have tried plugging the phone in the Virgin socket and there is no dial tone.

Please can you (or someone else) also tell me how I can find out the terms and conditions of my package? I can't find them on my online account. I can't easily manage without a landline much longer, I have a father who is very ill and needs to be able to contact me at any time of day. I don't have mobile phone signal everywhere in my house and my father can't e-mail. The stress and inconvenience of this situation is getting too  much and I am going to have to cancel my contract. As far as I am concerned I am not getting the service that I signed up for and feel that I should be able to cancel the contract. I have not had a landline since I switched on 3rd January. It was not clear to me when I signed up that I would need a new cable installed for my landline or that I would only be able to use one phone socket in the house (I only found this out today).

I hope that my issue is an easy one to resolve and can be fixed in a few days but if not I need to know how much it is going to cost me to cancel and what I have to do in order to cancel it.

0 Kudos
joannack
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I've now been told that they can't connect me with a landline because there is no capacity in the box. Am going to have to try and cancel (even though I'm still told I'll have to pay an exit fee!), I am so annoyed that it's taken this long to find out that I can't get a landline at all.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi joannack,

Thank you for posting on the Community Forum. I'm sorry to hear that there is no capacity for your landline in your area and that it's taken so long for you to receive this information.

If you would like to discuss this further, please contact us on 0345 454 1111.

Kind regards,

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
joannack
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Terri, each time I phone up to discuss it (or use the online chat option) I have to explain again what the problem is. I only have a pay as you go mobile and have spent a lot of money so far phoning up and explaining the problem time and time again. I have been told many times I will get a call back but this does not always happen. I am very fed up of people that I talk to telling me that there is no issue with my landline (!) or that they will send an engineer out (it won't do any good because there is no capacity to connect!). 

I have been told categorically that I cannot cancel my contract even though I am not getting the service that I signed up for. No-one seems to understand that it's going to cost me an extra £18 a month to get a landline with BT and I either want my monthly bill credited by £18 or I want to be able to cancel my contract without charge. 

I have tried to log a complaint several times during this process without ever receiving confirmation of the complaint being logged. I have done so again yesterday and finally received a confirmation e-mail of the complaint, I have got to the stage that I want communication in writing as no-one is able to help me when I call up. I will wait for this to be resolved (either by providing a landline, by reducing my monthly bill by £18 or being able to cancel my contract) or will wait for the deadlock letter and take it further then. 

0 Kudos