Menu
PhysEd
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sorting out old BT cabling in house

I'm having my hallway decorated and we have some old BT junction boxes in one corner which we have never used and which have 4 sockets in them in total as well as a couple of separate wires to and from them. I'd like to find out who could come out and remove them and re-route the cable without cutting off our phone.

I have spoken to BT and they say that Virgin would need to do this because they have taken over control of the infrastructure since they signed me up as a customer. Does anyone know if this is correct and how to arrange this please?

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sorting out old BT cabling in house

I see no reason Virgin would take over BT wiring. BT wiring only goes to BT exchanges, which Virgin have no equipment at. Virgin did have an ADSL product over BT lines, but they withdrew from this several years ago. Virgin have also pulled out of network sharing with BT in Milton Keynes, which is now a totally BT operation. If you have a Virgin line, you will get a bill from Virgin, not BT.

Whereabouts are you?

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

PhysEd
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. I'm in Bromley. Ok, so do you think it would be BT who would need to send an engineer out to my house to sort out the cabling then? They would have done it originally of couse.... thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If you pay your landline phone bill to BT (or in fact any provider other than Virgin Media), then VM are not providing the service or maintaining the infrastructure, BT are. Virgin don't provide services for anyone else, nor are their phone lines used for Broadband like BT's are.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
PhysEd
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That's the thing, I only pay virgin (tv, phone and broadband), so should I expect them to come and sort out the telephone wiring to/within my house?

It's a confusing set-up as I was under the impression that the BT telephone cabling is still being used to deliver my telephone services (even though it is Virgin who are billing me for it)
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

PhysEd wrote:
That's the thing, I only pay virgin (tv, phone and broadband), so should I expect them to come and sort out the telephone wiring to/within my house?

It's a confusing set-up as I was under the impression that the BT telephone cabling is still being used to deliver my telephone services (even though it is Virgin who are billing me for it)

You have answered your own question. As per my previous posts, the provider you pay your bill to is the one that does the repairs. So if you pay your bill to VM, you contact them to fix the problem.

As said before VM is a totally separate network to BT.

0 Kudos
PhysEd
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

OK will do. Thanks for the help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Braby
Dialled in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I presume the Virgin phone-line was newly installed? If so then there will be a completely separate master socket, into which your phone is plugged, and which has nothing whatsoever to do with the old BT master socket and extension wiring. Virgin are only responsible for their master socket. While it would be sensible to keep the old BT master socket in case you ever wanted to reactivate it, all the extension wiring which you seem to be describing is entirely your responsibility and you are free to do with it what you wish, including removing it. Most people would regard this as a fairly simple DIY job but if you don't want to tackle it yourself then you will need to get an independent telecoms engineer (or professional handyman) to sort it out. Neither Virgin nor BT is in the business of providing or removing extension wiring. If you need any new extensions run from the Virgin master socket, this would be the time to get them installed and have a general wiring tidy-up.

0 Kudos
PhysEd
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks very much Braby. That's also a great help. I have found a local tradesman who should be able to sort out the cabling for me 😊
0 Kudos