Menu
davedicko
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Smartcall ending.

am an avid user of smartcall because my disability means that i may have to phone my Dr's or Chemist and can be in a long queue,smartcall enables any incoming calls which can be taken by our landline.Also my landline is a cordless phone and its batteries cannot sustain long waits where as a fully charged mobile will be fine.In addition 0800 numbers and 0345 numbers are included in my talkplan but not on my mobile.What is the alternative?I will be at a loss.

Helpful Answers
DigitalDonkey
Up to speed
Message 13 of 25
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Smartcall ending.

Yesterday I called VM to downgrade my landline package, saved £13 per month. I called Vonage.co.uk straight after and managed to get a better land line package with SmartCall equivalent mobile application which has both Incoming and outgoing calls from my iPhone and from a free set of Dect phones. Total saving £3 per month and VM have to less of my money.

Maybe If everyone migrates/downgrades their package, VM might realise that instead of saving money (ie not having to pay the SmartCall provider), they are actually loosing revenue.

By the way the Vonage service is excellent and their support person even called me back today to check if everything was working OK.

All Replies
Pentala
Dialled in
Message 2 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Personally I think this is very small minded of Virgin Media to close the Smartcall service, I find it invaluable for making calls from abroad and also when I am in bad coverage areas with my mobile - frequently when stopping in hotels you get a good WiFi service but patchy mobile. I know that o2 and BT offer such services - maybe time to look at migrating my landline back to BT and just keeping my broadband with Virgin.

Strange how Virgin like to portray themselves as a forward thinking company but there are several points I can think of now where other companies do much better. We are all still awaiting the Tivo updates to allow remote playback, what happened to the shared WiFi service - suspect that this has now gone down the pan as it would have been the perfect compliment to Smartcall.

Bad move Virgin Media...

Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Have you considered a new cordless phone with better battery life?  I got a Panasonic KX-TG 8561 a couple of years ago and it has a battery that offers 12 hours of talk time and 250 hours standby, much better than my mobile.  I'm guessing there are even longer lasting cordless phones out there now.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Pentala wrote:

Strange how Virgin like to portray themselves as a forward thinking company but there are several points I can think of now where other companies do much better. We are all still awaiting the Tivo updates to allow remote playback, what happened to the shared WiFi service - suspect that this has now gone down the pan as it would have been the perfect compliment to Smartcall.

The shared WiFi service appears to be progressing as the next version of the super hub 2 firmware which is currently being rolled out has changes to support it.

Disclaimer - I don't work for Virgin Media. I'm just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong :-) If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful as it may help others
My setup: Vivid 200 Optical fibre with Superhub 2 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

0 Kudos
DigitalDonkey
Up to speed
Message 5 of 25
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to be switching my phone services to Vonage, I already use them and they work well. It's going to be more expense, but I hope I can pay VM less money for their package. I believe Vonage are giving away a couple of free Dect phones of you sign up before March, so take a look. 

0 Kudos
aidemnigriv
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 25
Flag for a moderator

If there is one thing I hate it is been taken for a fool!

VM state the reason for withdrawal is that their "customers are choosing to use alternative apps and services". Forgive me but there is no other app or service that will allow me to use my smart phone on wifi to make calls charged to my Virgin land line account which with the appropriate call plan makes them free.

I have used this extensively when abroad and when in poor cellular signal areas and will be very sad to see it go. It has saved me a lot of money and made contact with family, friends and services easy and carefree.

There are already a number of separate topics running on this issue and clearly a growing number of users are concerned. Any Ideas how we might organise and campaign to get this decision reconsidered?

Mike

PS Dave, you might consider buying replacement batteries for your cordless, it transforms them!

davedicko
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Smartcall discontinuation?

I have just been informed about the imminent discontinuation of Smartcall.As I use this awesome facility a lot such as ;when my cordless digital landline phones are flat due to the batteries going flat after long usage or my wife is spending too much time on the phone when I want to make an 0800 phone call.Is this facility being discontinued?if so is there a workaround? Or perhaps a replacement option?Thanks.........Dave 🖖
Tags (1)
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smartcall discontinuation?

Discontinued: Yes

Workaround: Not from VM but there are many apps out there.

Replacement: Nope. 

200Mb(SH2 SH2AC Hub 3.0), 2 X V6 TV XL, Phone M. 100Mb Business (Hitron Hub).
Pentala
Dialled in
Message 9 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Mike,

I agree - I'd like to hear which "alternative apps and services" are available to make calls using my Virgin Inclusive Minutes. This looks to me to be yet another method of increasing prices - just remove a service and charge the same price.

Is there anyone out there from the Virgin Team that would care to comment officially on this one?

Andrew

Pentala
Dialled in
Message 10 of 25
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smartcall discontinuation?

I don't see any workarounds from anyone that allow me to use my VM inclusive minutes when away from home. This is just yet another stealth price increase from VM. It means you have less chance to use the inclusive minutes therefore they can make more profit from carrying fewer call minutes.

Not nice VM.