Menu
Sebastiondarcy
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

SmartCall with 9 digit telephone numbers?

Does SmartCall accept 9 digit telephone numbers?

I have tried to use SmartCall but it will not accept the phone number. What is particularly annoying is VM promote it to me yet they know my number and therefore that I can't use it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: SmartCall with 9 digit telephone numbers?

Sebastiondarcy wrote:

Does SmartCall accept 9 digit telephone numbers?

I have tried to use SmartCall but it will not accept the phone number. What is particularly annoying is VM promote it to me yet they know my number and therefore that I can't use it.

Apparently it requires an 11 digit number to work: http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/Can-Smartcall-support-9-digit-phone-numbers/m-p/25...

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I regularly call a 10 digit number when I'm using Smartcall down in Cornwall. Works fine.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

Sebastiondarcy
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The format is 0 followed by 9 digits: that is my area code of 01276 plus five digits. I think you are calling a number that is 0 plus 10 digits.

VM claim that this a standard format which is a very partial way of looking at it.  Telephone numbers have been all sorts of formats over history that have become fixed into the systems in place. In such an environment it seems silly to use a fixed length format.

However we are where we are and it seems unlikely that VM will change its software and even less likely that they will stop promoting SmartCall to someone who cannot use it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

In fact I have just checked the call log on Smartcall & have used 3 numbers on the Bodmin exchange. The code is 01208 & the phone numbers are 5 digits long. As I say, all connected without problems.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

There are no 9 digit phone numbers.  There are old some old 10 digit numbers around and the rest are 11 digits.

The dialling code in this case is the complete 01276 followed by the 5 digit number.  so if dialling via Smartcall you'd enter the full 10 digits.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Sebastiondarcy
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

The point is not making calls. I have no information on making calls.

i can't register to use SmartCall. 

Its registration that is the problem. I am told there are telephone exchanges in Scotland that even shorted but I can hardly see that is a worry to a cable company.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Perhaps you should have said in your original post that you could not register for Smartcall, rather than "I have tried to use SmartCall but it will not accept the phone number".

AFAIK the registration code must be sent to a standard mobile number (preferably the mobile using Smartcall) & not a landline. This is because caller ID shown when you make a call is then tethered to that number.

Sebastiondarcy
Joining in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Correct so far. When you have the code you provide that to the registration page. It then asks for your telephone number. Presumedly to access the account details.

My telephone number is not long enough.

I have been a VM customer since way back when it was NTL. We used to have an irritation in that it used to ask for the phone number or enter zero followed by the account number.

It never recognised my phone number. I was told by one VM person that they enter an additional zero at the beginning of the number to access the record. Obviously not available to me as that then required me to remember my account number.

The irritation has gone away it that it now asks if the phone I am calling from is the one on the account. Now I can remember the answer to that question!

nt

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Having just had a play with the Smartcall App it is clear that the OP is correct.

You add the mobile number to the my.virginmedia App but then when you download the App it asks you for two things

1. The setup code which is texted to your phone.
  2. The landline the Smartcalls are to be sent against.

It will as the OP has explained only accept 11 digit landline numbers.  Clearly the creator of the app never envisaged old 10 digit numbers being ported accross.

@ForumTeam Can you look into rewriting the App to take these numbers into account.  It shouldn't be that hard.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos