Menu
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3 (53 Views)

Scam calls on Land line

Yesterday (16/06/2017)  I had 8 blank messages left on the telephone answering machine in less than three hours. This obviously uses up the message time.

To add to this three calls yesterday from people stating they are calling from Virgin Media Technical Support Team. 

I checked this on 151, and was told that no such calls had been made--as expected.  I am already registered with the TPR, but understand this only works on calls from private individuals.

I thought that such calls were a fraudulent - representing themselves as the "Virgin company". so is this 'Scam' being processed by the Police or Trading standards ?

And what if anything can be done ? I am beginning to feel harassed....

thank you, 

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3 (49 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Hamlet
yesterday

Re: Scam calls on Land line

Hi Hamlet,

Thanks for coming by. Smiley Happy

Did you dial 1471 to see what the number was?  If so if you do get anymore calls from them then it would be great to know the number as we can verify if it was from us or not.

We do have a marketing team who do contact customers but work from a different system than us, so if we were to check who has contacted you then we may not see that it's from them. 

If we know the number in question then we can verify if it's genuine or not.

For unsolicited calls you can register your details with the Telephone Preference Service link for your landline, and your mobile can also be registered on this link too. (TPS) Once you're registered with the TPS, it stays registered for the life of the number with you.

If any of these sales calls are silent, should this be an issue for you at any point, you can also register your numbers with Silentcall-Gard. SCG Silentcall-Gard takes 24 hours to activate but needs to be re-registered every 12 months.

Finally if we have your details for contact purposes and you would like us to opt you out of any marketing calls that we provide to you, then we can opt you out of these and this take up to 6 weeks to update with us. You can arrange this via our contact centres on the phone via 150 or 0345 454 1111. Alternatively our Webchat teams can also opt you out of these calls too.

I hope this helps.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3 (50 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Hamlet
yesterday

Re: Scam calls on Land line

Hi Hamlet,

Thanks for coming by. Smiley Happy

Did you dial 1471 to see what the number was?  If so if you do get anymore calls from them then it would be great to know the number as we can verify if it was from us or not.

We do have a marketing team who do contact customers but work from a different system than us, so if we were to check who has contacted you then we may not see that it's from them. 

If we know the number in question then we can verify if it's genuine or not.

For unsolicited calls you can register your details with the Telephone Preference Service link for your landline, and your mobile can also be registered on this link too. (TPS) Once you're registered with the TPS, it stays registered for the life of the number with you.

If any of these sales calls are silent, should this be an issue for you at any point, you can also register your numbers with Silentcall-Gard. SCG Silentcall-Gard takes 24 hours to activate but needs to be re-registered every 12 months.

Finally if we have your details for contact purposes and you would like us to opt you out of any marketing calls that we provide to you, then we can opt you out of these and this take up to 6 weeks to update with us. You can arrange this via our contact centres on the phone via 150 or 0345 454 1111. Alternatively our Webchat teams can also opt you out of these calls too.

I hope this helps.

Collette.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

Tuning in
Message 3 of 3 (28 Views)

Re: Scam calls on Land line- Virgin Media Technical Team....

Thank you for your reply.

*The TPS dont work for business calls. I have been registered with them for some years. even before the "Windows  Microsoft" scams.

They will only deal with private calls. They advised me to contact the Police or Trading Standards... which in this district would be extremely limited.

This morning at 9.33am  I was called by this number  00136 06661492, again identifying themselves as Virgin Media Technical Centre.

I told them i had moved to BT, and cut the call.

This is not the only number used by these operators, but i should like to know what - in law-   the position is for the householder if they suffer financial loss in any following  transaction they get drawn into.?

*(info fromTelephone Preference Service)

0 Kudos