Menu
smccallum
Tuning in
Message 1 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Scam calls - claiming to be Virgin Media

Hi,

Over the past month or so, we have been receiving calls from people claiming to be Virgin Media but it's clearly a scam.

The number is 0800 4089 430

On the two occasions where I have answered the phone, they have asked for my wife (who is the named account holder), then claimed to be from Virgin Media, offering some rewards for being a longstanding customer. They then ask for the account password but hang up pretty quickly when I refuse to give that out and ask why they need it since they called me.

I see other people are experiencing the same problem

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/08004089430

The worrying thing is that they must have access to at least a historical Virgin Media customer database to have that information (since the account is in my wife's maiden name, so it's unlikely they could have got that from somewhere else).

I have contacted VM support on 150 about this twice and have only been advised to register myself with the telephone preferences service. I don't think this is satisfactory; it may (or may not) solve the problem for me but it doesn't stop other VM customers from being scammed. (I'm also not convinced that scammers will play by the rules anyway)

I believe VM have a duty of care towards customers to investigate this properly and take steps to shut the scammers down (also to investigate where they got their target list from in case there is an ongoing leak)

Can someone at VM please deal with this or do I need to go to Ofcom, Trading Standards or the Police?

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 29 of 81
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam calls - claiming to be Virgin Media

It's genuine VM sales number using an off shore call centre. It drives people mad (and I'm not surprised). You can opt out of marketing calls by calling VM free from a VM fixed line or VM mobile on 150. Allow 28 days for your request to be actioned and for your name to be taken off the call lists.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos

All Replies
pwatson
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I don't think this is a scam - It really is VM cold calling and trying to sell you something...  The fact that VM's left hand and right hand departments haven't been introduced yet just compounds the problem!

It seems they haven't got their act together for sorting out a way that both sides of the call can be confident they're talking to the right people.  The onus seems to be on the customer to prove who they are rather than the other way round.

Just ignore the call...

chrisross
Tuning in
Message 3 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I have the same question, too. I've received calls purportedly from Virgin Media trying to get to upgrade my subscription. They're pushy and I could barely understand what they're trying to sell me. They talk fast and tell me a lot of things. I wish VM can look into this and verify if the calls were legit. I am suspicious about it because they're pressuring me to give my credit card number.

chrisross
Tuning in
Message 4 of 81
Flag for a moderator

By the way, I had the calls reported to http://www.callercenter.com and other consumer complaint websites. If you wish to get the phone number so you guys can investigate, I still have them.

0 Kudos
m1ll3r
Just joined
Message 5 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I am also recieving calls from this number often as late as 9PM, I registered my phone number with TPS when i first opened my account, and having contacted Virgin regarding the phone call, I confirmed that my preferences are for Virgin to never contact me by phone.

Also whilst i was talking to Virgin, the operator said there were no records of them contacting me since I last spoke to them a couple of months ago and that no comments where made against my account.

Just suspicious about it, if i recieve another call will just ask them to confirm my details if they can, or enquire about the reason for the call...

BAH!!! if its not a scam, they still have no reason to contact me by phone given mypreferences of by mail only

0 Kudos
dilbar
Tuning in
Message 6 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Had call from this number today asking for my husband as he is the VM account holder - offering to save us money on our phone bills. they were prepared to take info re the login details from me - they didn't get v far as put the phone down when I said I didn't think they were from VM. VM have never allowed me to deal with them re the account in any way.

BTW we are registered with Telephone preference and if VM genuinely want to save us some money that will be great.

0 Kudos
ianw2007
Joining in
Message 7 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I've also been getting these from the same number 08004089430 recently. I e-mailed VM about it suggesting that if it was a scam they should publicise it to warn their customers so that they know not to give any personal information to the callers. They just replied saying that they were not responsible for the calls, recommended me to ignore the calls in future, and suggested using the TPS to stop it. They also suggested reporting the calls to the VM team and provided a link to do it but that link was just for reporting internet issues not telephone scams so that was useless. Also I've been on TPS for years and it makes hardly any difference to the real irresponsible nuisance callers. To report a nuisance call to TPS you need to be able to identify the company or person concerned so if its a scammer who is not who he says he is it seems TPS can't help.

I've sorted it now anyway. Got a call blocker on my phone now so the next time they get through will be the last.

I hope the information that it is apparently NOT Virgin Media making these calls will help someone. It worries me that VM doesn't seem to be interested in warning their customers about this apparent scam. I don't know what the scammers hope to gain by obtaining access to a customer account but there must be money involved somewhere.

0 Kudos
Brundle
Joining in
Message 8 of 81
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, posted this on an older thread before seeing this one. 

I just had a call from this number on my mobile (which isn't a Virgin phone) and immediately got suspicious when they got my name wrong. They asked for part of my password which I refused to give over so the woman then went and quoted what she thought was my password back to me, problem is 1) the password was incomplete and 2) they're not allowed to do that.

They were calling to offer me some deal and seemed to know a worrying amount of detail about my account (i.e; my package, my broadband limit, the name of my bank) but I work in a call centre and can tell a scammer a mile away.

When I said some of their info was incorrect she hung up.

What worries me is that they had some of my information, not complete but even partial information means that they must have got it from somewhere in Virgin, the caller sounded Indian...

I phoned Virgin and gave them the number, the guy on the phone said he checked and confirmed this wasn't a Virgin number so it almost certainly is a scam. The guy said they would try to chase the number and call back.

The only difference is my call was 0800 4089 340 not 0800 4089 430. Just the last three digits switched around. And this call was on my mobile not my landline, which is odd as my mobile isn't a Virgin phone. 

jefftravis
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 81
Flag for a moderator

I think it must be a scam, i rang back and the call didn`t even connect.

0 Kudos
jefftravis
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 81
Flag for a moderator

i would have thought that virgin would have warned it`s customers about this scam, instead of finding out about it by chance, also, as these people are mis-representing themselves, i would have thought that a company like virgin would have an army of investigators/lawyers to stop these people

0 Kudos