Menu
Tangy85
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Reserving a landline number.

So I'm in the process of moving from Sky to Virgin for broadband.  I have also made the decision to no longer have a landline as I begrudge paying for line rental when practically never using the phone. I don't deny however that it may turn out to be a poor idea and in future I may change my mind and want a landline back.  Is there any process to reserve the number I have rather than it go into the pot to be assigned elsewhere? It could potentially be to Virgin's benefit as I would be more likely to pick up a phone line again one day if I were able to use my old number. 

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Reserving a landline number.

You rent the landline, & hence the number. Stop paying for it & it goes back to its leaseholder, which is the provider that leases it from OFCOM ( In your case Sky) for release to another customer. Landlines cost a lot of money to lease, so have to earn money (via line rental) for their providers.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
lincsguy
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

The landline still has to be " live " to keep the number so the line would be transferred to Virgin before Sky cancel it with your number, once Sky has cancelled your landline you loose the number.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You rent the landline, & hence the number. Stop paying for it & it goes back to its leaseholder, which is the provider that leases it from OFCOM ( In your case Sky) for release to another customer. Landlines cost a lot of money to lease, so have to earn money (via line rental) for their providers.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos