Menu
Sburrows365
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Problems After Switching From Sky

I have had a horrific time since joining Virgin. I was cold called, and after the usual sales pitch, I actually thought it sounded like a decent deal. As such, an installation was booked and sky cancelled, with a safety window of a week's overlap.
I was very specific prior to agreeing, that my number MUST be ported over. I was assured this wasn't a problem, and would be handled by Virgin. I relayed my number, and the operator, and ours is only 10 digits long (including area code). This was picked up by the sales guy, that there was a digit missing as most U.K. Numbers are 11 digits long. I assured him it was correct, as are a lot of numbers in our town. I reiterated the number must port, and quoted it again.
Fast forward two weeks to installation date. Friday afternoon, the engineer was obviously in a rush to beat the hometime traffic. I was left with broadband and tv, but no phone line. The engineer explained there was a problem between the house and the exchange, but it would be dealt with on the Monday out in the street, and I didn't need to be present. By Monday evening, still no dial tone, so I rang Virgin (a painful experience, taking the best part of a half hour through varying departments and continents), only to be told the line outside was fine and I would need an engineer visit to my house, meaning a day off work, at my expense. After much anger and annoyance from me, I agreed, but was then told it would be another 11 days before anyone could come out (taking me past the Sky cutoff). Further anger over why I had to wait when my installation still wasn't complete after what would be 2 weeks. I was told this would be taken from my bill, as during this two weeks I had no phone access, so wouldn't be charged. Needless to say that never did get taken off my bill, and I was charged in full.
Finally after a second installation, the issue was within the house, and was sorted, surely this could have been done at initial installation.
The killer at this point, I was on a temporary number, waiting for my number to port over. A week or so later, still no port over. By now I must have been up to 6-7 phone calls at 30+ minutes a time. Finally to be told, there had been an error at the point of processing, and an extra digit had been added to my number on the port request. Sky kicked the request back, as they didn't recognise it, and Virgin didn't bother letting me know. I was then told (after I had to ring to chase up again), that if I rang Sky, they may release my number. Which they said since the contract had ended without the port request, the number had been lost. Sky did tell me they didn't port numbers to Virgin, not sure how true this is, but if so, I was clearly mis-sold.

Why did I have to do all the chasing. Virgin have not once offered any kind of good will gesture or compensation for their error. We had that number for 15 years, and was the contact for Family, School, Doctors, Dentists etc, all which then needed updating. Other than some token 'sorry' over the phone, nothing to actually show how apologetic for this mistake. I was very clear from the off, my number MUST port over, that was critical, if that wasn't to happen, I would not have taken the deal.
Still no compensation of any sort, even the promised £10 taken off the first bill never happened either, ontop of a wasted day's annual leave because the installation was botched. All the legwork was done by me, not one call back from Virgin. Very very poor. Customer service has been virtually non existent. There has been little to no effort to help resolve this issue, and absolutely no attempt to compensate.

Add to all this, the Anywhere App barely works. Catch-up is always showing errors. And my broadband, whilst being a better speed, has a very poor range from the router. In a standard two bed terrace, it doesn't reach the length of the house. Again, this was another selling point on the initial call, promises the router would be stronger than Sky, as Sky's didn't reach the garden, Virgin doesn't even reach the back of the house, let alone the garden.

Quite frankly, whilst the price of the package is good, ultimately you get what you pay for, and given a choice I wish I hadn't joined. With Sky I'd still have my old phone number, a tv app that you can actually watch all channels away from home, plus a broadband signal that covers all of the house. Oh, and a more intuitive tv box that actually allows you to go back into a recorded film/show at a designated point, rather than defaulting to the beginning every time and having to fast forward to the last point watched.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Problems After Switching From Sky

HI Sburrows365

I'm very sorry for the problems you've been experiencing with your recently installed service recently, it's certainly not the service we want for any of our customers so massive apologies for the inconvenience you've experienced.

I'm glad to hear that work is being carried out to see if getting your previous number back is a possibility, we'd love to hear how that goes and will be here should you need any assistance moving forward.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Sburrows365
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Work has not been carried out to restore my phone number at all, please don't make that mistaken assumption. It was left to me to do all the chasing, only to be told it is not possible.
I remain without my original phone number, which was promised to be moved over.
I remain with a barely usable Virgin Anywhere app.
I remain out of pocket having not received the saving that was promised to me, plus the wasted time and money spent on calls chasing up my lost number.
I remain with a faster speed, but ultimately poorer router range broadband.
If you can find a service in there where Virgin have fulfilled their promises made to secure my custom, please highlight it for me.
There has been no assistance at all.
0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Craig_D wrote:

HI Sburrows365

I'm very sorry for the problems you've been experiencing with your recently installed service recently, it's certainly not the service we want for any of our customers so massive apologies for the inconvenience you've experienced.

I'm glad to hear that work is being carried out to see if getting your previous number back is a possibility, we'd love to hear how that goes and will be here should you need any assistance moving forward.

Take care

Craig

Well either the original post wasn't read properly or this is a mistaken response to a different post.

At least there is now the offer of help 'moving forward' - after the initial mess up it will be interesting to see what actually can be done apart from ensuring suitable reimbursement of course.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sburrows365

My apologies, I've contacted the team regarding this number port request and can confirm that unfortunately, the request was denied. 

As the number is now inactive, it's not possible for our teams to request the number is ported in. Massive apologies for that and the inconvenience it's caused, I wish this was something I'm able to do.

As for the issues with the Virgin TV Anywhere application and your broadband WiFi range, I'd recommend creating posts in the relevant boards so our teams can take a closer look at that for you.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos