Menu
Highlighted
amills100
Tuning in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Porting home phone from Sky to Virgin - no service and number not recognised

After switching from Sky to Virgin was allocated a "temporary" phone number, which I was told would change to our original number within 8-10 days. Until a few days ago, anyone calling our original number found that it just rang and rang. I noticed two days ago that we had no dial tone. I contacted Virgin Customer Services and was told that the porting process meant we would be without a phone line for 24 hours (I had not been told this previously). We still had no dial tone last night (over 24 hours after my initial query). Virgin Customer Services (via live chat) was unable to tell me why, or to tell me when service might be restored. 48 hours later we still have no dial tone and now, when I call either our original number or the temporary number I get the message "the number you have called is not recognised, please check the number and dial again".

I've tried to use the on-line phone line test - the link seems to be broken and takes me to an error page. All in all, a highly unsatisfactory experience, especially following the installation nightmare that we've had with very shoddy workmanship and an unfinished job. Two installations visits already and a third one booked.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
JoanC1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Porting home phone from Sky to Virgin - no service and number not recognised

Hi Just to let you know we had the same problem when we moved to virgin from sky in March I kept being told to wait 10 days all in all we waited over 21 days only to be told we had lost our number that we had had for over 20 years. we also had a temporary number given as we were told it would take up to 10 days and it has taken since march up to last week that the line had been disconnected and we would have to keep the number we were given as a temporary number. as they cannot port a number over when the line is disconnected and were blaming sky for not releasing the number when requested in the  time given.you really need to make sure the line is still active or you will not get your number ported over. I was livid as it had taken us from march and endless phone calls to virgin to try and sort it out I threw in towel and cancelled all I have with virgin after three months of being fobbed off.Don't let them keep telling you to wait 10 days speak to customer service but if your line is not working you will not get your number.I speak from experience of the last 3 months.Hope you get it sorted.this is just what I experienced.

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting home phone from Sky to Virgin - no service and number not recognised

Hi amills100,

A warm welcome to our community Smiley Happy

I am sorry to hear we're off to a shaky start with your Landline service.  I would like to help check this out for you.

I can see you have been in touch with us this morning and I can see that we're already chasing this up for you.  Please do keep us posted on how you get on, we're here to help if you need us.

Collette. Smiley Happy

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
amills100
Tuning in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Colette, I'll let you know how we get on and also if someone tells me what has caused this issue. Hopefully it will be resolved sooner rather than later, as it is most inconvenient to be without a landline, especially for our elderly relatives for whom calling a mobile from a landline is very expensive.

Kind regards

0 Kudos
JoanC1
Tuning in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Just to let you know we had the same problem when we moved to virgin from sky in March I kept being told to wait 10 days all in all we waited over 21 days only to be told we had lost our number that we had had for over 20 years. we also had a temporary number given as we were told it would take up to 10 days and it has taken since march up to last week that the line had been disconnected and we would have to keep the number we were given as a temporary number. as they cannot port a number over when the line is disconnected and were blaming sky for not releasing the number when requested in the  time given.you really need to make sure the line is still active or you will not get your number ported over. I was livid as it had taken us from march and endless phone calls to virgin to try and sort it out I threw in towel and cancelled all I have with virgin after three months of being fobbed off.Don't let them keep telling you to wait 10 days speak to customer service but if your line is not working you will not get your number.I speak from experience of the last 3 months.Hope you get it sorted.this is just what I experienced.

amills100
Tuning in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Joan - that's awful. I hope we are not going to experience the same thing but fear that that's what is happening.

Kind regards

Amanda

0 Kudos
amills100
Tuning in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Collette

Just to let you know that the temporary number seems to now be working but our old number is still not working. This is not acceptable. I expect our original number to be reinstated and working by the end of today. I was told 24 hours and it is now almost 96 hours. Furthermore, someone from Virgin promised to call me back two days ago but has still not contacted me - I hope this is not indicative of Virgin customer services as a whole. I sincerely hope we are not going to have the same experience as JoanC1.

Many thanks in advance for your help - I look forward to hearing from you.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi amills100

I'm really sorry to learn about the continued problems you're experiencing with your phone number at the moment.

From taking a look at your account I can see that action was taken last Thursday and I hope that means your number is as it should be?

If not, let us know and we'll continue to chase this for you.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
amills100
Tuning in
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Craig, yes, it is now resolved. It was disappointing that it took Virgin so long to sort it out. We regret having taken the decision to leave Sky and can only hope that all our other migration issues get sorted sooner rather than later.
Kind regards
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi amills100

Thanks for taking the time to let me know about this, I'm glad to hear that the issue has been resolved.

If you need any assistance moving forward you know where to find us.

Take care

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
SGC
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

We are having exactly the same problem now. We signed up and had the services installed. We were told that our number would be ported from sky and were given a temporary number. The port didn't happen and our number continued to ring on the sky provided socket.  I was told I just needed to plug the phone into the virgin socket and the switch would happen. I figured this wasn't the case but I went along with it. I then found there is no dial tone on the Virgin socket.

I've called Virgin again today to be told that they CAN NOT port my existing 0115 (we are in Nottingham) number and we have to keep the 01909 "temporary" number. That's the area code for Worksop - miles away from where we are.

Someone from Virgin is due to call me back but, to be honest, I'm on the brink of cancelling everything. I'm fed up of being fobbed off - and we've only been with them a month.

0 Kudos