Menu
Jantee
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Porting Phone no from BT

1) Asked Virgin to port my phone no from BT in January paid £14
2) in March phone would only dial 3 numbers
3) Engineer visited and said number was never ported from BT so now reverted to Virgin number- requested correction.
4) few days later no change so phoned customer services told phone number could only be ported when BT service is active!
5) asked for account to go in my name in January - nothing happened
6) will not now speak to me as say I don't pass. Security as account originally in sons name even though I have always paid the bill and asked for account to be changed to me.

Feeling snookered. How do I get out of this mess?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Porting Phone no from BT

The mistake a lot of people make is not following the correct landline porting procedure.

When you contact your new provider to ask for a landline number to be ported, unlike with mobile phones, the provider you are moving to has to handle the whole process. This includes cancellation of your existing providers account. If you put a cancellation request in yourself a disconnection order is placed on your line & this stops any porting request going through.

If the above applies to you then you have little hope of getting your old number back.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jantee

Welcome to the Community, I'm very sorry to learn about the problems you're experiencing with your telephone service recently. 

As nodrogd has mentioned, we can only port a number into us if the line is active, so if your previous telephone service has been deactivated, then it won't be possible to port the number in. 

I hope the engineer was able to resolve the problems with your phone so you can dial more than three numbers too, if that's not the just just let me know and I'll do what I can to take a closer look.

Talk soon

Craig

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Jantee
Joining in
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Craig,

I phoned BT on Friday and they said the number is available for reuse. It is my husbands business no with over 200 contacts. Please can you get it ported this week? Can you find out why it wasnt done in December as requested? It's getting very urgent as customers can't get through.

thanks 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if the Number if in the free BT pool it it unlikely that VM will be able to use it as it can't be porte as its not active on one of your accounts.
0 Kudos
Jantee
Joining in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

If that is true then it's a shocking dereliction of duty by Virgin and I'll complain to the customer services director. Does anyone have the contact details? It's ruining my husbands business and my son is going through chemo .Things can't get much worse for us. Could really do without this. Phone numbers are vital to people.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

did you tell BT you were cancelling the service when you signed up for VM?
0 Kudos
Jantee
Joining in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

No I asked Virgin to port it and had no idea it had not happened until it stopped working and I managed to untangle what had happened. If they had ported it straight away asked I wouldn't be in this mess. How could I tell it hadn't happened?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if vm hadn't ported it and you didn;t tell BT you were leaving i'm surprised the BT account got cancelled.

You'll have to see what VM say but as the old number is no longer in use you might be out of luck Smiley Sad
0 Kudos