Menu
cmcardle75
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Port phone number to another provider without cancelling broadband

Can I port my phone number to another provider without it causing my broadband account to be cancelled? I want broadband only from Virgin, but don't want to lose my phone number.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Port phone number to another provider without cancelling broadband

cmcardle75 wrote:

Can I port my phone number to another provider without it causing my broadband account to be cancelled? I want broadband only from Virgin, but don't want to lose my phone number.

Yes, you can port your landline to another provider, as the phone line on Virgin does not provide the broadband. Be aware though, that having a landline on your account makes your broadband cheaper. So if you port your landline away, your broadband costs will increase by about £10 a month.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi cmcardle75,

are you referring to a house phone number or a Virgin Mobile number?

AlexKid :-)

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

cmcardle75 wrote:

Yes, you can port your landline to another provider, as the phone line on Virgin does not provide the broadband. Be aware though, that having a landline on your account makes your broadband cheaper. So if you port your landline away, your broadband costs will increase by about £10 a month.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
cmcardle75
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

It is a house phone number I want ported away, without affecting my broadband.

0 Kudos
cmcardle75
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply?

Do I need to tell Virgin what I want? If I port the number, will it just put me on the broadband only tariff automatically, or do I need to tell them so it doesn't cancel the rest of my package?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

cmcardle75 wrote:

Thanks for the quick reply?

Do I need to tell Virgin what I want? If I port the number, will it just put me on the broadband only tariff automatically, or do I need to tell them so it doesn't cancel the rest of my package?

Your new provider will handle the whole transfer. Do not tell Virgin to cancel the phone or you could lose your number.

0 Kudos
MrEvilScot
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I'd give 150 a call. I ported mum from Virgin to Gradwell four years back, seek advice from both parties.

If you are choosing VOIP be aware there may be issues with incorrect DNS lookup of the SIP gateways I used google for lookup on the SIP device.

If you are porting to BT... Good luck. Porting from Gradwell to BT was a nightmare. "We can't garantee that you cha have that number as it might not be available on your switchboard." So BT can't move a number within the same town when I have just ported it to a company the other side of the country with whom I can take that number anywhere in the world.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi cmcardle75

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch. It's lovely to see new people joining us on the forums Smiley Happy

Just some points to touch on as a lot has been covered by the community here for you which is great!

• Your new phone provider should be able to arrange to port the number for you, but check with them that the switch is compatible as if not, the number cannot be ported. This doesn't happen very often but is worth checking with your new supplier just in case.
  • You would end up with a single broadband service only (providing you don't have TV with us on the M package that you've not mentioned).
  • You will lose associated discounts and would need to contact us once the phone has transferred to your new supplier to renegotiate the existing broadband service options with us.
  • Please leave an additional week after the number has transferred before you contact us. This is due to Ofcom regulations requiring that we leave an open window of 7 days once a port has transferred where we have to leave the line 'open' in case this needs porting back for any reason. Once this window has passed your phone line should then be disconnected on your account with us.

Please let us know how you get on and if we can help in any other way Smiley Happy

Thanks again.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos